Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

I have an open nonhealing sore on my penis which I have been

I have an open nonhealing sore on my penis which I have been attempting to treat with fluorourocil. The sore has been weeping for a week since my last (self-administered) treatment with fluourocil. It weeps, then pus forms, then the pus forms a crust directly below the head of my penis, the crust is then dissolved by the weeping fluid (which is clear fluid). I keep the wound clean with soap and water. I take asprin for the pain. I don't have or never have had any type of STD. I'm a divorced, seventy-year strictly heterosexual old male who has not had sex with a woman for many years so there is no possibility of an STD. I used the Fluoruoucil (which I have for actinic keratosis) for a small spot on my penis before and it healed that spot. This time, the area is much larger,forming a semicircle directly below the head of my penis. I don't have to tell you how embarrassing this is. That's why I waited a full week for it to heal. Instead, it worsened every day. A doctor will call me Monday from Thomas Jefferson univ. In Phila. But I am very worried about what I may have to go through.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

How large is the sore?

How much pus is coming out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's not pus. It's a clear liquid which forms a crust which then dissolves as the sore continues to weep. The sore extends about 3/4" around the area below the head of my penis where the crease is. I'm circumcised.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

This can be due to an infection.

Its position makes it difficult to heal.

You can continue to apply neosporin cream.

When flurouracil did not help you may not apply it.

You can need oral antibiotics.

But an indolent sore in this part needs an examination by doctor.

Any malignant change needs to be ruled out.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How to I know it's not skin cancer. What can I use so it doesn't become infected? Can I take asprin for the pain. I've been taking 2 325 asprins four times a day. Does taking asprins thin the blood and prevent healing?

Don't forget, the sore hasnt' healed in one week. It seems to get larger every day.

Are you a dermatologist. Are you familiar with skin cancer. I know cancer of the penis is extremely rare. But I used Fluorourcil before and it took away the sore spot which I thought was a mild skin cancer. This time the Fluorourcil didn't work, making me think that the cancer was deeper or more advanced (if it is cancer).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What does "Any malignant change needs to be ruled out."

Does this mean I don't have cancer, even though the sore spot hasn't healed in one week?

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
Malignant change is cancerous change.

This needs to be ruled out when the sore is increasing in size.

A biopsy can help to diagnose it.

Still there is a possibility that it is an infection if it has started in a week only.

Oral antibiotics can be helpful.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I Don't understand: You said, "This needs to be ruled out when the sore is increasing in size."

Do you mean that I must consider the possibility that this IS cancer because the sore is not healing and increasing in size?

Or do you mean that IT IS NOT cancer. Please clarify. I don't know what you're saying.

How do I treat the open sore if it IS cancerous?

How do I treat the open, weeping sore/lesion if it is not cancerous.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

First possibility, it is an infection.

This will need an antibiotic by mouth for curing it.

But it can need a biopsy to see whether there is any cancerous change in it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Why would it be an infection? Should I just use soap and water to clean? Or should I use a mild mixture of hydrogen peroxide.

What would cause such an infection since I have no sexual contact or have never had a sexually transmitted disease.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

All infection there is not STD.

There can be infection by other bacterias like staphylococcus.

This can enter through a skin break, or scratch & proliferate.

You can clean it with normal saline & apply neosporin cream.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a small or large chance that it could be skin cancer?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
There is a small chance.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does taking asprin for the pain slow down the healing process since asprin thins the blood?

Is there anything topical I could use to heal the lesion or are antibiotics the only answer?

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.

Does taking aspirin for the pain slow down the healing process since aspirin thins the blood?

Aspirin has effect on blood clotting, but is unlikely to slow healing.

Topical antibiotic cream like neosporin can be used.

Antibiotic may not be always necessary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have this constant clear, sticky fluid exuding from the lesion which forms a crusty scab around the lesion area.

What is this clear sticky fluid that exudes from the sore all the time? It turns into a dry crust, then dissolves when more of the sticky fluid is exuded in sufficientt quanity to dissolve the built-up crust.

This was one of my initial questions which you never answered.

Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 5 years ago.
It weeps, then pus forms, then the pus forms a crust

This can indicate an infection.

clear sticky fluid

On the other hand can be due to other possibilities too.

This can be clear serum oozing from the ulcer.

Dermatitis, eczema, fungal issues can be there.