Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

Diagnosed with enlarged lymph node in the portacaval space

I have been diagnosed with an enlarged lymph node in the portacaval space measuring 4.3 cm. near the aorta. I have an appointment with a surgeon. What questions should I be asking? I am a healthy 75 yr. old woman with no symptoms and no history of cancer in my family. This showed up because I had an MRI for a back issue with arthritis. I had a follow up CT scan and the results were the same.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

The most important question would be what is the cause of the enlargement of the lymph node?

What are the various possibilites?

Is it cancerous or non cancerous?

What are the investigations need to be done?

The size of the lymph node is quite significant and this warrants a CT guided aspiration biopsy cytology (ABC). This will give the diagnosis. It can be;

1) Benign; reactive lymphadenitis.

2) Non specific lymphadenitis.

3) Lymphoma

4) Secondary enlargement due to some visceral cancer.

With no symptoms and no abnormality found in CT scan and MRI, there is an high chance of this being an incidental non cancerous finding which does not have clinical significance. Thus would not warrant treatment.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My appointment with the surgeon is to set up the laproscopic procedure, so the ct scan guided aspiration biopsy cytology can be performed. Can a preliminary diagnosis usually be done at the time of the procedure, with a complete one at a later time? If the preliminary does show cancer, can the removal be completed at this time?

With a laparoscopic approach, this will be completely removed. Usually the biopsy report takes around 5 days to come which only determines about the cancerous or non cancerous lymph nodes. But since it is removed completely, a residual lymph node is not left.

It is privilege assisting you.