Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

Hi there My TSH level was 21 last months, and my GP advised

Customer Question

Hi there
My TSH level was 21 last months, and my GP advised me to take a 50mg pills, but I did another test last week and the level of my TSH is upto 30 now, I'm having difficulty breathing though my dosage is double by my doctor three days ago. I think my doctor is not taking it seriously enough, I feel like passing out all day long. Do you think with this level of TSH (30) I can be treated by 100mg pills once a day..or I need to see a specialist? Is this level normal, or something to be worried about?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have symptoms of low thyroid? Do you feel better or some improvement after taking this meds? Did you mean to say initially your TSG levels were 21 and now you have 30. Do you know the unit in which it was measured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there
My doctor said I have Hypothyroid, I do not know the unit which it was measured in, but remember that the normal range was between 0.3 and 5.5, and mine was 21 last month but now its gone upto 30 last week. The pills I am taking is called 'Levoxthyroxine.

My symptoms are: constipation, loss of memory, confusion, joint pain, brittled fingernails, sleepiness all the time (I sometimes sleep for days..), weakness and chest pain and problem breathing. To be honest I feel like dying and passing out a lot of times.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Based on your description I can sense that all your symptoms are severe and related to hypothyroidism. Your TSH level also support the diagnosis. Now the question is about the level of TSH at 30, just to tell you this is not common and indicate severe form of hypothyroidism. Severe form of hypothyroidism is associated with severe symptoms that you already have, but it can be also life threatening in not managed appropriately in time. I also see that you have breathing difficulties which is another symptom of severe hypothyroidism. Considering your overall symptoms, there is no doubt that you need someone to look at it now in ER. Yes, you also need specialist care from an endocrinologist to look after it. I do not suggest you to wait and watch, please see someone now to be in safe side.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
You can read more about it from this links. Click on different icons to view details.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/myxedema_coma/article_em.htm

I hope these information are helpful to you.
take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer, I have been having these symptoms for the past 5 months but my family is tired of me complaining about it, so nobody cares anymore and they do not want to do anything about it. I was wondering if there is any other way of treating this illness like a certain diet or anything else...I know treatment with these pills take a long time, but I have a sever depression which I forgot to mention and combined with breathing difficulty is making me restless. I need to end this feeling now. If there is anything you can tell me to help, I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the follow up. If this is something that is happening to you for 5 months, then correcting TSH level is the main target. As you recover (your thyroid levels return back to normal), all these symptoms will subside gradually. Depression is also one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism, so treating your primary disorder is the key to success. I know that you are already on medication since a month, but it will take some time to reach the ideal dose to control your symptoms. At this time, I don't think that there is anything magical to normalize your hormone level immediately. All I can suggest you is to see an endocrinologist who will assess the overall condition and adjust the meds as per your need. I don't have any other recommendations at this time. If this is something that you were not looking for you don't have to press green button and you will not be charged for our conversation.
Thank you for visiting justanswer.