Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I just notice a black mole on the left side of my tongue. its never been there till

I just notice a black mole on the left side of my tongue. it's never been there till just now. it doesn't hurt, but I can feel it. it looks like a little round black ball under my skin. should I be worry?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Have you had a recent trauma to the tongue like a bite?

Q. Have you recently had an antibiotic treatment or a visit to the dentist?

Q. Do you take any medication?

Q. When did this mole occur, what is the approximate size and does it feel hairy or raised from the surface?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr.

1. I don't recently have a traume to the tongue, but I just ate a bunch of potato chips, then when I am done, I felt something on the side of my tongue, so I looked at the mirror and there is a rised black/brownish mole on my tongue, but it doesn't hurt

2. didn't visit a dentist lately

3. I took some allergy medications for the pollen allergy,

4. the mole just occur now, size about half of piece of rice. not hairy, it's raised from the surface. dark brown color.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

Black spots on the tongue are usually benign in nature since melanomas on the tongue are extremely rare.
These are usually due to staining since the papilla on the tongue can take on color from foods, coffee, smoking etc.
This raised dark brown to purple lump can also be due to a collection of blood under the tongue due to a recent unnoticed tongue bite while eating or against a jagged tooth.
However, since the possibility of a more serious condition should be kept in mind a visit to the oral surgeon or a dentist will be advisable so that a formal examination can be done and a biopsy taken for histopathological analysis if required.
Most of the stains on the tongue are simply removed by brushing over them a few times in a day.
If this is a collection of blood which seems more likely due to its raised appearance and like a ball it should dissolve and go away within a few days - you should use cold beverages and cold water to help reduce its size.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.

Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX some chocolate right after I ate the potato chips too, so that might be the chocolate color. thanks.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
That is definitely it!
You are most welcome.

Please do click ACCEPT to credit this assist! A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.
Best wishes.
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so if it doesn't go away in few days, I should go see a doctor?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that will be the best thing to do although if you brush it with a soft tooth brush twice a day, it should go away.