Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

What is the long term effects of this condition My sternum

Customer Question

What is the long term effects of this condition? My sternum never healed. I have had this condition for 31 years. i injuried my sternum in the military.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

DocPhil213 :

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer!

DocPhil213 :

What exactly is your condition/symptoms?

Customer:

Costochondritis, what is the long term effects?

DocPhil213 :

Well, there are no long term effects per se. Simply the fact that you have to live with pain.

DocPhil213 :

But, have you exhausted all treatment options? What have you tried?

DocPhil213 :

But, if you mean will it affect other parts of your body the answer is no.

Customer:

IMy ribs do not stay in my spine, and i have to have them put back in by a Doctor.

Customer:

What is my MMI?

DocPhil213 :

I see. Well, if you are referring to costochondritis, there are no long effects. What is MMI?

Customer:

Maxium medcial improvement

DocPhil213 :

I'm not sure what you are referring to by that. I have never heard that term. But, patients with costochondritis have many treatment option.

DocPhil213 :

have to run for a few. will get back to you.

Customer:

My ribs will not stay in my spine, I have to place my sternum back into place, also when this accures.

Customer:

I also have a burning feeling in my Back mid way up.

Customer:

When i place my sternum back into place, it is a crushing sound with a lot of pain

Customer:

This also keeps me from my day to day Functions, Work,Projects,Home life, and more!

Customer:

The only time it feels good is went i'm laying flat on my back!

Customer:

Moblity is also limited, unable to set for a period of time and stand for a period of time.

DocPhil213 :

What treatment have you tried?

Customer:

Pain medication is all anybody can give for treatment.

DocPhil213 :

What about physical therapy? Steroid injections?

Customer:

I have been seeing Physical, i have see a Orthopedic and a heart Doctor to give me an idea on how to fix, Wiring my chest is not an recommended. I even ask for them to put a metal plate in, with a negitive result.

DocPhil213 :

What about a pain specialist or a physical medicine doc?

Customer:

I am going thru the VA and that is all they do, I take 2400 to 3000 mg of Pain relief a Day along with heart medication. My heart is not staying in beat properly since last November, 2010

DocPhil213 :

I would try to see a physical medicine doctor or a pain specialist. They may be able to do some different techniques like steroid injection, ultrasound, etc.

Customer:

I will ask for this treatment again, they told me that it probly would not work since i have had that treatment before

DocPhil213 :

You should see one of the above specialists though as they may have something new to offer.

Customer:

I was just trying to find out what other problems can accure from this Broken chest, Im at the end of trying to feel better, Thanks for your time.

DocPhil213 :

You are welcome. It does sound like costochondritis which is difficult to treat, but the above specialists may be able to offer new treatments.

Customer:

I do not thinks there is alot of information out there about this condition

DocPhil213 :

I will provide a link. Hang on.

Customer:

I am not feeling better about getting older with this condition, or should i say getting younger Ha Ha!

Customer:

Thanks for the site.

DocPhil213 :

Lol. Well, at least you have a sense of humor about it. I hope you get better. PK

DocPhil213 :

Don't forget positive feedback....:)

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is there to do.

DocPhil213 :

Thats a good way to look at it. Take care. PK

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The answer were to Vauge,I needed A Doctor in Orthopedic feild to anwser>