Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

what causes foot cramps in middle of night. Could it be too

what causes foot cramps in middle of night. Could it be too low of blood pressure or not enough salt
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have these symptoms?
Have you undergone any tests?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've had them about 1 year. I have had no tests.
Thanks for the info given.

The exact cause of night foot cramps isn't known.Common causes are: low potassium levels, muscle overextension,prolonged sitting, dehydration, diabetes, neuro muscular disorders,elderly age,excessive alcohol,peripheral vascular disease. This foot cramps is very common at elderly age.

Following helps to relieve the night foot/leg cramps:Stretching and massaging the affected muscle,applying a cold pack to the affected muscle,taking a hot bath,using a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back,supplementation with vitamin B12 & gabapentin.Also take potassium supplements.

There is another effective treatment that can help, and that is quinine bisulphate.This is available on prescription from your doctor in tablet form. Taking one tablet a night for a week or so appears to abolish the foot cramps in most people.

If you have a major discomfort,then I advice you to consult your doctor as you may need prescription medications accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How much potassium shd I take a day?

Thks

A healthy adult should generally get about 2,000 mg of potassium per day. Daily potassium supplement can greatly reduce their leg cramps at night.Bananna & potatoes are also a good source of potassium. Also take magnesium of 250 - 500 mg before bedtime.

For potassium content of different fruits,

click here: http://legcrampsite.com/high-potassium-foods/

Regards-

Dr.David.