Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

How long after you consume alcohol will it show up in urine

Customer Question

How long after you consume alcohol will it show up in urine tests and does it only show up for the same amount of time as in a breathalizer test? I can't seem to find a straight, conclusive answer. Please help. Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 years ago.

DocPhil213 :

Hello. My goal is to help you find an answer!

DocPhil213 :

Are you having a urine test for alcohol? How much alcohol do you consume? No, it can be detected in the urine longer than in a breathalyzer. However, household products that contain alcohol can give a false positive on the EtG test. This includes certain hand sanitizers, mouthwash, etc. High rate of false positives with this test.

DocPhil213 :

There are some rare reports of alcohol being detected by EtG over 80 hours after consumption but this is in heavy users. How much do you consume? When was last drink?

Customer:

I drank 2 glasses of wine yesterday at 6 pm. I am not a heavy drinker and have a urine test today at 4 pm.

DocPhil213 :

Also, is it simple urine test for alcohol or EtG test? It makes a difference on whether it can be detected longer than with a breathalyzer.

DocPhil213 :

I assumed it was EtG but I should have specified. Go ahead.

Customer:

I assume it's EtG if that's the more sophisticated type.

DocPhil213 :

If its a simple urine test for alcohol it will be negative but if its an EtG test then there is a chance it will be positive. But, like I said, there is a high rate of false positives with EtG. This includes hand sanitizers, cosmetics, etc. Things that contain small amounts of alcohol.

Customer:

I usually have about an eighteen to twenty hour window of notice before the test. For a glass or 2 of wine, should I be okay? How is a EtG

Customer:

Sorry, I hit the send key and didn't finish. How is an EtG test more in-depth and able to detect more than a simple test. Please explain, specifically the difference in the 2 types of analysis.

DocPhil213 :

So, 22 hours in between ingestion and testing. No, I would not count on it being negative. There is a reasonable chance it will be positive if its EtG test.

Customer:

Can I consume anything, large amounts of water, Goldseal, etc. to counter it?

DocPhil213 :

The simple urine test detects ethanol in the urine. The EtG detects a metabolite of ethanol that stays in the body longer.

DocPhil213 :

No products will help. Drink water. Stay well hydrated.

Customer:

Should I eat any food or will that slow down how quickly the water "cleanses" my system? What, if anything should I do and how much water should I drink?

DocPhil213 :

No, there is no food to eat. I cannot comment on how much water you should drink but you should be sure to stay well hydrated. There is nothing else to do other than that. Like I said before, if its the EtG there are a high rate of false positive due to normal daily items that contain alcohol.

Customer:

To be completely safe, assuming it's an EtG test, how long should I wait between consumption and testing.

DocPhil213 :

Even the heaviest of users, for the most part have no evidence of EtG after 80 hours. There are some rare reports after 80 but these are rare. To be safe, 80 hours should be sufficient. PK

DocPhil213 :

Any more questions?

Customer:

How can you determine what type of test it is, just ask the lab?

DocPhil213 :

You will have to ask when you get there.

Customer:

okay, thank you so much.

DocPhil213 :

You are welcome. Good luck. I hope this chat helped. don't forget positive feedback after accepting...:)

DocPhil213 :

just click accept and you will be prompted for feedback. Thanks again! PK

Customer:

Doc Phil, I just spoke to the lab and they do not do EtG but do breathalyzer OR urine so, do you think that means that it's the "simple" test or is there another kind of FDA screening?

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just sent a follow up question and hope I'm doing it correctly. I spoke with the lab and they said they do not do EtG alcohol screening tests and do use either alcohol or breathalizer. They were not familiar with the term "simple" test and said EtG was not approved by the FDA. Other than what you call the "simple" type, is there anything else they might be using and since they use breath OR urine, should I be safe because I have blown before and been okay? thanks for your help.
Yes then you should be fine. Good luck!