HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York
18801144

I have a problem with my feet sweating horribly then when i

Customer Question

I have a problem with my feet sweating horribly then when i take my shoes off and let them air out they dry and crack. I can't wear white socks because my feet will turn them yellow from sweating. At the end of the work day my feet ache and feel water logged. I have tried many things to stop the smell and can't get rid of that either.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 3 years ago.
Do you have any problems in your nails?

Do you feet smell when not wearing shoes?

I am still online while you provide me the above info.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the toe nails are fine.

Yes they smell even with out shoes.

It is embarassing that i can smell them through my leather boots.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This has been going on for about 8 years now. and nothing I have tried or my doctor has perscribed has done anything for it.
I understand your embarrassment and your concern for this problem. Just remember that the sweat is not the problem but it is the bacteria which grows in your sweat produces the bad odor.

I assume you have not tried sodium bicarbonate yet.
Sodium bicarbonate will create a hostile environment unsuitable for the bacteria responsible for the bad smell. Four pinches of it on each foot everyday are usually enough (two inside the sock and two on the insole of the shoe). Sometimes it might take one or two days before the shoes completely lose their old smell. Washing your feet and applying the sodium bicarbonate daily are also potentially useful solutions.

Swabbing feet twice daily with Isopropyl Alcohol, found at your local drug store, for two weeks is a cheap and highly effective cure. One can also periodically remove their footwear, to reduce foot moisture and thereby reduce bacterial spawn.

Let me know if you have any more clarifications.

If you would like to give credit for my answers and the time I have spent with you, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. I will not get paid unless you hit the green accept button.

FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have done the alcohol thing already and the ship dotctor tried the other thing. This started because the die in the black socks I had to wear in boot camp ate holes in my feet that i could stick the end of a ball point pin in. Ever since then I have had this problem. I have even scrubbed my feet with steel wool
Did you mean "dye" in the black socks?

What problem did you have, please elaborate?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the dye in the black socks.

The exsessive sweating and then the drying and cracking. The smell is like an old mop.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there a way i can upload a picture of my feet and show you what they look like?
Yes, you can upload a picture using the "paper clip" icon on the tool bar.

Treatment for odor problems basically consists of preventive measures (some of them which I have already mentioned) and therapeutic measures, the latter being slightly more invasive.

I will provide you with something more advanced than all the methods that you have tried till now:

You can consult a podiatrist about a procedure where electric current is passes through the nerves of the foot to reduce / stop sweating . This has been found to be curative in difficult cases (like yours) where the sweating cannot be stopped by any other conservative way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Possibly has some red spots on the soles.

What do you think about consulting your podiatrist for the electric current?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been asking to see one for years and can't get my doctor with the VA to set it up for me. i have a picture of the tops of my foot if you want to see that if it weuld help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are these pictures helping any? I can take more if you need them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I need to give you?
Sorry to keep you waiting as I had to be away from my computer.

I see that your feet looks normal and there is no evidence of any fungal infection too.

You nails are also pretty healthy.

I think you should see a podiatrist for this problem.

I will provide you with a link to help you know more about it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other. I have a problem with my feet sweating horribly then when i take my shoes off and let them air out they dry and crack. I can't wear white socks because my feet will turn them yellow from sweating. At the end of the work day my feet ache and feel water logged. I have tried many things to stop the smell and can't get rid of that either. Optional Information: Gender: Male Age: 29 Already Tried: Eppson Salt Charcola pills Aluminum CL Hexahydrate Athletes foot creams BLeach Bactaoban Cream Do you have any problems in your nails? Do you feet smell when not wearing shoes? I understand your embarrassment and your concern for this problem. Just remember that the sweat is not the problem but it is the bacteria which grows in your sweat produces the bad odor. I assume you have not tried sodium bicarbonate yet. Sodium bicarbonate will create a hostile environment unsuitable for the bacteria responsible for the bad smell. Four pinches of it on each foot everyday are usually enough (two inside the sock and two on the insole of the shoe). Sometimes it might take one or two days before the shoes completely lose their old smell. Washing your feet and applying the sodium bicarbonate daily are also potentially useful solutions. Swabbing feet twice daily with Isopropyl Alcohol, found at your local drug store, for two weeks is a cheap and highly effective cure. One can also periodically remove their footwear, to reduce foot moisture and thereby reduce bacterial spawn. Let me know if you have any more clarifications. No the toe nails are fine. Yes they smell even with out shoes. It is embarassing that i can smell them through my leather boots. Is there anything else I need to give you? This has been going on for about 8 years now. and nothing I have tried or my doctor has perscribed has done anything for it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is not just the smell it is the sweating and then drying and cracking
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You replied

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:38 AM EST

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

It goes from one extreme to the other with in about an hour.

Expert:  HouseDoc replied 3 years ago.
You have planter Hyperhydrosis. Plantar Hyperhidrosis, severe sweating of the feet as a result of an overactive sympathetic nervous system.
Every day, the human body perspires to maintain constant internal body temperature. Perspiration is regulated by the Sympathetic Nervous System, which controls about five million sweat glands in the body. Sweating is controlled by branches of the sympathetic chain that is located within the chest cavity.Hyperhydrosis is a medical condition that causes perspiration far greater than the physiological needs of the body. Although no one knows why some individuals sweat excessively, it is known that the sweating is controlled by the sympathetic nervous system. Excessive sweating may be episodic or continuous.

This is the initial treatment for moderate or light hyperhidrosis. A product such as Drysol® is recommended. Doctors generally recommend applying it to problem areas after drying the skin completely. Wearing it only at bedtime and then washing it off in the morning with plain water reduces the chance of skin irritation. It is somewhat irritating and will stain clothing. Repeat the treatment, nightly, until the sweating is under control. After it begins to work, use once or twice, weekly, to maintain the effect, and use a regular deodorant on the other days. The medication is less effective on the thick skin of the palms and soles. Hyperhidrosis of the feet, otherwise known as plantar hyperhidrosis is a very common problem and can often be treated using an advanced antiperspirant like Odaban spray and / or an Iontophoresis machine. Botulinum Toxin treatment is not licensed in this country for hyperhidrosis of the feet and surgery is not generally recommended. Socks should be made from a natural fibre, typically cotton which allows the skin to breathe and the feet left open to the air as often as possible. Synthetic shoes and man made fibres tend to exacerbate this problem and should be avoided where possible. ETS surgery for control of HH of other skin areas may result in compensatory sweating of the feet which in turn may require a separate operation to control the plantar HH. Surgery should always be considered a last resort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where can I find this Odaban Spray and what is this Iontophoresis Machine?
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,
Greetings.Warm moist environment of the feet in shoes with sweat,dead skin debris and skin oils are fertile grounds for bacteria of the corynebacterium and micrococcus species .These bacteria act on the sweat and cause smelly feet.Some easy methods of foot hygiene may help reduce the smell and sweating.These will include-
1.Rotating your shoes by wearing other shoes on alternate days allows them to dry out.Removing the insoles will help them dry out faster.Keeping the shoe in a dry,cool environment with adequate UV light will eliminate any remnant bacteria.
2.Avoid synthetic material like nylon or rubber, wear only leather or cloth shoes which will absorb moisture.Go barefoot in the house for some time allowing the feet to dry and be aired.
3.Frequent change of socks and using a drying agent like a foot powder/corn starch will help.Antifungal dusting powder may also help.
4.Wash and dry the feet twice daily using a antibacterial soap.Applying Topical benzoxl peroxide 5% may help.Topical antibiotic solution like erythromycin may also help.
In case the sweating of the feet does not respond to these measures ,use of surgical excision of the sympathetic ganglion to reduc ethe sweating and other measures may be needed.Your doctor can guid eyou further.
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 3 years ago.
You can buy odaban spray on amazon.com website. Iontophoresis uses a simple device to treat excessive sweating of the hands (palmar hyperhidrosis) and feet (plantar hyperhidrosis). It is particularly useful for people who’ve tried prescription strength antiperspirants but find that they need a stronger treatment. Used correctly and adjusted to individual situations, iontophoresis has proven to have a very high success rate. Iontophoresis uses water to conduct a mild electrical current through the skin’s surface. It’s not entirely understood how or why iontophoresis works, but it’s believed that the electric current and mineral particles in the water work together to microscopically thicken the outer layer of the skin, which blocks the flow of sweat to the skin’s surface. Once this sweat output is blocked or interrupted, sweat production on the palms and soles is, often suddenly and dramatically, "turned off".
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 3 years ago.
If you are satisfied by my answer than please press the accept button so I can get credited. Thank you.