Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have very swollen, heavy legs, mainly from the knees down.

I have very swollen, heavy legs, mainly from the knees down. They also have some index- finger-nail size fluid filled bumps. This makes it uncomfortable to walk. There is some tingling while sitting but not while lying. My GP sent me to a vascular surgeon and I had a 2hr ultrasound on both legs. Results were fine.
I also have no energy, no appetite and no strength. A cup of soup or 3 or 4 bites of food and I'm full. I only eat once a day.
Any recommendations as to which type of specialist I should try next.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. How long have you had this for?

Q. Is there any redness on the legs?

Q. Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Q. Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
to a lesser degree for several years, at least the swelling and the fluid filled feeling. socks would always leave a band mark.
the extreme heaviness, for 1 1/2 to 2 years.
the bumps and dryness for more than 1 year.

yes, around the dry scalier ares and the bumps.

I've had hypertension for at least 20 years, kept under control by
4 different meds am&pm until last years when I was reduced to 3 meds
every am&pm because of low blood pressure for many months after breaking an ulna. also taking med for Gerd. also obese.

some gagging/coughing bouts causing vomiting that I don't relate to
the leg problem.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

The symptoms you describe can be due to renal disease, heart failure, lack of proteins either due to malabsorption or loss of proteins or decreased intake or synthesis of proteins.
Since, vascular problems have been ruled out in your case and since you have a previous history of Hypertension, you should see a Cardiologist to rule out a failing heart.
My recommendation is that you see your GP again, a set of tests can be done like liver function tests, renal function tests, EKG, total serum protein and serum albumin etc.
These tests will give us a lead towards the diagnosis and if a heart condition is likely then a Cardiologist can be seen and if a renal condition is suspected due to any derangement in the renal function tests then a Nephrologist can be seen and so on.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.