DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

If pacemaker battery dies and the patient is totally dependent

If pacemaker battery dies and the patient is totally dependent on it; If the battery is not replaced, what will happen to the patient. Will they die? Will their heart stop beating?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
What ever problem was corrected will not be corrected.
So for example if the problem is third degree heart block...the heart will continue and nothing might happen for a while, but the same problems that a block can create will likely recur again, and yes the heart could get very slow and course problems.

So it depends why the pacer was but in, but in some cases yes death could result, especially if the heart went into an abnormal rhythm.
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions

You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. The patient had the pacemaker implanted in 2002 for an abnormal rhythm. The patient has always had excellent results with the pacer since then. So now, nine years later, we are told the battery is EOL. But how many months until the battery dies if used continuously. The patient is elderly (92). The patient does not want the battery replaced. So what signs to look for when the patient battery is done.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
This can be checked with an EKG
Which will show right away
Signs would be effects of the arrthymia
dizziness, blood pressure drop, fast heart rate, palpitations, pallor, sickness, confusion, etc.
good luck again

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.