DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My Dads Blood Sugar level is a 540-reading, is this dangerously

My Dad's Blood Sugar level is a 540-reading, is this dangerously high? should I be concerned or can I wait for the number to go down. Is 200-250 ok or somewhat alarming?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
540 is to high
what medication is he taking?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a sugar pill---metformin 500 mg - 1 tablet per day.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
You need to call his doctor immediately or take him to urgy care or the ER.
Metformin will not work fast enough to bring this down if he has a current problem.
The metformin dose needs to be increased and he probably needs some short acting insulin temporarily.
If this is from hidden infection is when it will really become a problem so he needs to be assessed to make sure this is not the case...urinalysis, heart and lung exam.
If his doc can not get him in and agrees, take him for the exam.
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
OK
Good luck