Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

The tip of my penis feels very cold and tingly when flacid.

The tip of my penis feels very cold and tingly when flacid. I have no burning when urinating or ejaculating.No discharge either. Some redness on my foreskin/urethra. Wondering if its likely to be an STD?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Good morning,

Have you recently had unprotected sex?
Are you urinating more frequently?
Any back pain or fever?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What's considered recent? I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend of 4 years maybe three weeks ago. I seem to have been urinating a bit more frequently yes. No back pain or fever.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification,

What you are describing is not indicative of any specific STD.
For example, gonorrhea and chlamydia, if they are going to cause symptoms, will cause discharge, burning with urination, pain in the testicles and/or difficulty urinating.

Herpes will cause visible sores/blisters.

Syphilis also causes a visible ulcer.

Redness of the foreskin/urethra can indicate a yeast infection or dermatitis. Dermatitis can be due to an allergic reaction (from new soaps, detergents, etc), spermicides, etc.

I would have your doctor take a look and do a urinalysis just to make sure there is no infection. But, from your description, there is not anything that suggests you have an STD at this time. However, men can develop asymptomatic infections with gonorrhea and chlamydia (meaning infections with absolutely no symptoms). If there is any chance you may have been exposed, getting checked is a good idea.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you that is very helpful.. I've recently switched soaps so I will try switching back. Any remedies in the meantime? Also, I've read that symptoms of chlamydia, if they do show up, will show within 1-3 weeks of exposure.. is that true? Or is it they possible to show up 6 months later?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
It would be unlikely that it would show up six months later. Usually, if symptoms are going to manifest, they will show up 5 to 10 days after exposure.

For now, I would simply abstain from intercourse for a few days until the redness resolves. I do not recommend putting any creams on the red areas since I cannot confirm the diagnosis without actually examining the area.

Dr Abby