Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

why does the tip of my nose swell up after drinking alcohol

why does the tip of my nose swell up after drinking large quantities of alcohol and is there anything I can do to reduce the swelling?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the interesting question. I would like to have few important details. Any redness or swelling else where, other then nose? History of itching? How much you drink? This happened every time when you drink or some times? Any swelling of ankles or legs? Any known medical illness or history of allergies?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No redness or swelling anywhere else. No history of itching. No swelling in the ankles. I drank 2 martinis and 2 glasses of absynthe - high alcohol content and not much to eat. This has started to happen after consuming too much alcohol along with not enough food to eat.
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the details. Swelling of the tip of nose is not a common symptom after drinking, infact rare. This can be due to allergic or hypersensitivity reaction but most important this is a time now to have complete evaluation & tests done to rule out Liver disease or damage due to alcohol. I will advise to see your physician or visit ER for complete early examination & tests such as liver function tests, blood urea levels, complete blood count, ESR. You can try Tab. Benadryl available OTC which might help in reducing the swelling if it is due to allergic reaction along with consultation of your doctor. Make sure to seek medical attention & tests soon as possible. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Do accept the answer in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Positive feedback & bonuses will be appreciated.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.