DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

High crp levels. stomach pain, constipation and diarrhea, heartburn, extreme fatigue, ins

Customer Question

High crp levels. stomach pain, constipation and diarrhea, heartburn, extreme fatigue, insomnia, swollen painful joints.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
have you seen a rheumatologist?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes and he put me on hydroxychloroquine, methotrexate, humira, and meloxicam. I was on all of this medication for more than 2 years and none of my symtoms changed for the better or really at all. I have became more exhausted and have bouts of extreme pain with the joints. I ended up getting a nasty bronchitis infection that lingered for almost 6 weeks and was off all of my medication for 8 weeks. I had no difference in pain or fatigue off the medication as I did when I was on it. The only thing that has helped me is a "Kenalog" injection that I have gotten 3 times in the last 2 years. My stomach upset is the same, my bowels are diarrhea and constipation and none of that has changed. I don't sleep well at all and I get out of breath easier now than I used to.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
so with these meds there had to be a diagnosis
RA?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes. I do not show positive for RA factor but c-reactive and swollen joints is why I was diagnosed with RA. Is it possible there is something else going on here instead of RA since my symptoms don't seem to be any different on the medication than they are off the medication. I am gaining weight, I have lost a great deal of my hair (no bald patches) and I understand my risk for heart disease is increased being on these medications. And most of all....I don't feel any better!
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
You RA was simply never put into full remission.
If not, all of the systemic...widespread...effects will occur.
Not to mention medication side effects of of course.
I don't think there is anything else going on from the conventional medicine standpoint, but there are many more drugs, biologic agents, steroid sparing agents and immune modulators than you have had.
I think frankly that you need an expert rheumatologist capable of tailoring a medication to you.

Here is an excellent run down from the mayo clinic
And you will note some of the medication advances
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/rheumatoid-arthritis/DS00020

Good luck
Suggest a different rheumatologist...joint damage can be progressive and permanent when the disease is not in remission.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thank you for your time and will continue with my quest to start feeling better again. If I may ask one more question....why does the Kenalog injection give me so much relief in one injection than all the other medication combined? Yes I will start looking closer into Mayo Clinic information and maybe a different Rheumatologist. I used to be so active and now my life exhausts me! Again, thank you for your time.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
It is a very effective pain control medicine, in some cases more than morphine.

You are welcome
good luck again

Good luck
let me know if you have further questions