Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

can blood found in stool be caused by stress....

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Are you seeing bright red blood? Black stools?
Is the blood mixed in with your stool?
Are you having any change in your bowel habits?
Change in your diet?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no change in bowel habits....blood is light red mixed with darker red in stool....
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

Whether stress alone can lead to ulcers in the stomach or duodenum (which is the first part of the small intestine) is controversial. It is thought that stress, at the very least, can be a strong contributing factor to the development of ulcers due to the fact that it can increase acid secretion.

The bleeding that you are having needs to be checked out right away. This can indicate an actively and heavily bleeding ulcer in your stomach, inflammation in your colon or a bleeding diverticulum, which is a pocket in the colon that can develop exposed blood vessels.

Bleeding can quickly lead to anemia, which can cause a strain on the heart, dizziness and shortness of breath.

I strongly recommend that you go to the emergency room to be evaluated so that the source of your bleeding can be checked out.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could you please tell me the approximate time to recover from a large colon polyp operation?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Did you have a polyp removed by colonoscopy?

Tell me more what has gone on since we last conversed..

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband is going to have the polyp removed microcopically....(not spelled correctly?)....sounds like he will not have to wear a bag....liver looks a little questionable...my husband thinks it might only take a few weeks to get back to normal and I am trying to make him not to think so...what is the average time to feel better/....my husband never took any medication and was in perfect health....tooo bad we did not catch this problem sooner...appreciate your answers,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

Do you mean laproscopically? Is he having small incisions made in his abdomen, a scope inserted and the polyp removed that way?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes...sorry forgot the term...will be done on june first....
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
One of the benefits of having laparascopic surgery is the faster recovery time.
Often, the surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure.

Because your husband is otherwise healthy, his expectations are not unreasonable..although his age will work against him a bit with his recovery. I do think he will feel like he can perform his routine daily activities after two weeks.

He may not be out golfing/bowling and dancing at two weeks. But if the surgery goes well, which it should, he should feel well at two weeks.

I wish him good health and a fast recovery.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions,

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I truly appreciate your answers....I am the one that feels stressed out...

Thanks again,

Helma

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband came through the operation of the removal from a colon polyp ok but the doctors removed the tube? so he can urinate this morning at 10:30 and he has not urinatec yet....is this unusual?...just worried sick...

Thanks,
Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

I am sorry for the delay in response,
Hopefully by the time you receive this, he has urinated.
It is very common after surgery for this to happen.
If he does continue to have trouble, they will reinsert the tube for a bit.

This is not at all unusual after surgery.

Dr abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much....I will be back later with more questions, never having had an illness, it is so hard to cope with this right now....I am sure I am overly too worried...this

forum has helped so much...will have more questions later....

Thanks,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

I am glad to help. I hope that your husband is doing better today and I am glad the surgery went well and that it is over.

I will be online on and off today so I will get back to you if you have other questions,

Dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again...

Helma

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate all your answers and now have to ask you another question...my husband came through the operation ok and is still on a cathetar, but my concern is that he is bombarded with so many tests and new treatment... a tumor was found in the front above the left eye which has not gone into his brain so he is being treated with radiation...12 treatments...plus today they ordered a spinal tab...a little overwhelming...my husband has been healthy all his life, living without taking any medication....he aso survived the h-pylori bacyeria, which caused him to have the colonoscapy...just so worried that all these treatment are delivered too fast and that can cause him harm...need to calm down...yor answers always helped...

Thanks,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

Do you know what type of tumor he has above his eye? I would need more information before I could really comment about it or give you more information...

I am so sorry you both are going through this. It must be incredibly stressful. My thoughts are with you.

Dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much...I will have to get the name for the tumor....again, I need to ask the right questions...will be back

thanks again ,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I will be waiting to hear from you,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abby....my husband is home but extremely weak...one more day in the hospital would have done him in....he had doctors stopping by that he never heard of, which wanted to do a removal of the tumor surgically when another doctor told him that he needs to take radiation (he now has had to radiation treatments) he is now supposed to continue for 10 more days the radiation treatments....is it not customary to have the primary doctor making the decisions from here on in? This is all too shocking after never had health problems....again, my husbands age goes against him but he is not giving up...still trying to find out what the name of the tumor is.... chimo is supposed to start a few weeks after the radiation treatments....just wondering if my husbands situation has been heard of by yorself and that we have to think positive...

Thanks again,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

I am glad your husband is home. It is usually better to be out of the hospital when possible in order to prevent risk of hospital acquired infections.

It is not uncommon for people to receive radation for tumors prior to removal in an attempt to shrink them first. It does seem clear that this tumor is a cancerous tumor if he is receiving chemotherapy along with radiation. I am wondering if this is a tumor that has arisen in the brain or surrounding tissues or if this is a tumor that has originated somewhere else and spread to the brain/surrounding tissue.

His primary care doctor will likely defer the decision making to the specialists at this time.
While his primary care doctor is the main coordinator of his care, the reason that he has the specialists involved is because they are the ones who know best what is the next step to take.
I am sure it is very confusing when you have two different opinions...and there may not be a wrong way to go-surgery versus radiation may both be very viable options.

Without knowing exactly what type of tumor, etc. it is difficult for me to comment on.

Keep thinking positive and I will send my thoughts your way as well. I am so sorry that these things are happening to him.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr. Abby....I will keep in touch with you, if you don't mind, It is extremely important for me to reach out and get my thoughts in order....hopefully we can end this conversation on a positive not...soon..

Thanks,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I hope so as well,

I am available to try to help you sort things out whenever you need.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abby....my husband is now taking radiation treatments for 2 weeks and had 3 so far, which makes him very tired....he was prescribed these medications...DEXAMETHASCONE plus LEVETIRACETAM 500MG....HE REFUSES TO TAKE LEVETIRACETAM...no idea what to do...he feels this medication makes him feel horrible....my husband seemed more alert today and we are hoping as time goes by he will get better....appreciate all your help,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Hello Helma,

I am glad he is seeming more alert today and I am hoping thatthe radiation is doing its work on the tumor.
The Dexamethasone, as you may know, is a steroid. This is most likely given to him to help prevent swelling and inflammation in his brain/around the tumor.
The levetiracetam is an anti-seizure medication, which you also likely know. These medications can make you feel funny. If you can try to assure him that many of the side effects may lessen or go away with time, perhaps hewill agree to take it.
He is probably feeling very overwhelmed, as are you, and all of these medications and treatments are making him feel out of control.

He may need a bit of time to come around. If he doesn't, perhaps his doctor can put him on a different anti-seizure medication. There are many of them and they all have different side effects.

If you find out the name of the type of tumor he has, let me know,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much again....I will call the doctor and see if he can be put on a medication that might agree with him more...

your suggestions have made me feel more comfortable...

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma, I am glad.

God bless,

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr. Abby....my husbands spinal tab results came back with no cancer cells...very relieved...he is still only willing to take the LEVETIRACETAM once a day instead of 2 times....seems to agree with him so far....I know you cannot advice me if am totally wrong....just wondering if I do him harm by not forcing him to take the extra pill....sorry to bother you here almost daily, just helpes a lot...

Thanks,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Helma,

I am so glad to hear about the spinal tap results. Very good news.

As for the levitiracetam, perhaps now that he is getting used to it, he will agree to taking it twice per day. It truly does need to be taken twice daily for it to work properly . As mentioned, he may get used to the side effects and they may lessen with time, allowing him to tolerate an increase to twice daily.

I hope your day is going well,

Dr abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my husband lost the battle with small cell cancer on July 12th after the polyp was removed.....keep wondering if we would have changed his diet and not done the operation, the cancer could have been contained?....I now deal with my own problems of depression...could prozac be a good solution for me right now?

Thanks,

Helma

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Oh my, I am so sorry to hear this.
My heart is aching as I read this.

I am just so deeply sorry.

There was absolutely nothing that you could have done differently. It is natural to question whether we could have changed the outcome had we made a different choice.

The cancer that he had was obviously very aggressive. A change in diet or not having the surgery would not have made any difference, in my opinion.

I can understand the feelings of grief and depression. What you are experiencing may be a normal grief reaction. However, it is often difficult to distinguish a normal grief reaction and depression soon after such a devastating loss. I encourage you to talk with your GP if you can. Your GP may feel it appropriate to start Prozac for 6 months...

Again, I am terribly sad that this happened. I did have some hope that he would do ok.

Take good care of yourself and know that you did all the right things.

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD