Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My hands and feet have been turning blue gray color What causes

My hands and feet have been turning blue gray color? What causes this and do I need to check with my doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 3 years ago.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Since when you are having this problem ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Use reply button to send the reply...

Customer:

I have had a couple of chest pain issues in the pass April 2010 and June 2003 but stress test came back not conclusive.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Does these symptoms increase when you are exposed to cold..

Customer:

My symptoms are new, severe pain in jaw traveling down my neck and then chest burning started on March 31st this year and again April 14th this year. These symptoms are new and so is the blueing of my hands and feet

Dr S.A.Alam :

Are there any ulcers on your hands and feet ?

Customer:

No both time I was indoors and warm. But nasea and light headness accompanied both times.

Customer:

Ulcers? Not sure what you mean

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you also feel pain in your hands and feet during these episodes ?

Dr S.A.Alam :

Ulcers meaning wounds .....

Customer:

No pain I can remember the jaw, neck and chest overwhelming and is all I remember

Customer:

No ulcers

Dr S.A.Alam :

Do you feel pain in your hands and feet during these episodes ?

Customer:

No, but my limbs are numb and tingling during and afterwards for a while.

Dr S.A.Alam :

ok,

Customer:

Both time the pain lasted about 20-25 minutes and subsided.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Any other symptoms which you want to mention ?

Customer:

I also have had bleeding gums for 3-4 months. Might not be related but never had this symptom before and do not have gum disease. I am VERY good at dental checkups ect

Dr S.A.Alam :

The symptoms you are having are occurring are due to poor circulation of blood in your hands, feet and heart due to recurrent spams of the blood vessels.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Although these symptoms tend to occur more during exposure to cold but it is not the rule.

Customer:

My blood sugar dropped to 54 after the last attack and I just tested a few minutes before and was normal range 100. I have type 2 diabetes which is under control and checked with my endochronologist on April 20th and she rulled out that my symptoms are diabetic related. A1 is is check and I keep detailed notes for her office.

Dr S.A.Alam :

In many cases there are causes like scleroderma, SLE and some other autoimmune disease that is causing these symptoms.

Customer:

I am always cold and often heat the room to mid 70s to be comfortable. Which kinda makes since

Customer:

What is SLE?

Customer:

What do you suggest?

Dr S.A.Alam :

It is correct that these symptoms occur less commonly in diabetes, in most cases there are multiple pathologies and as Diabetes is also has autoimmune pathology so there are chances

Dr S.A.Alam :

that some other autoimmune diseases like SLE(systemic lupus erythematosis), scleroderma may be the cause.

Dr S.A.Alam :

So i would suggest that

Dr S.A.Alam :

you to get in touch with your doctor and get tested for these autoimmune diseases. A referral to rhumatologist is also a good option once your doctor gets basic blood tests.

Customer:

Are there tests to see if these might be the issue. What can you do to stop the spasms of the blood vessels and if so what kind of dr should i follow up with

Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes there are blood tests to detect SLE and scleroderma and they are very sensitive and specific tests.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Initially your GP and then a rheumatologist should be consulted.

Customer:

I have had many blood tests are there specific blood test that need to be done. OK

Dr S.A.Alam :

These symptoms can be controlled with medicine like calcium channel blokers.

Dr S.A.Alam :

Yes there are tests like ANA, DsDNA that can detect SLE.

Customer:

ok, thank you

Dr S.A.Alam :

Some times infections like hepatitis B and C can cause these symptoms so they should also be tested if you are ever exposed to them.

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have more questions...

Dr S.A.Alam :

Let me know....

Dr S.A.Alam :

I will be happy to answer them...

Customer:

You have been helpful and wanted to know what kind of dr is a thumatologist

Customer:

sorry mispelled it

Dr S.A.Alam :

Actually this type of doctor sees disease like arthritis, SLE and other joint disease plus many other autoimmune diseases like scleroderma and systemic sclerosis...

Dr S.A.Alam :

You have more questions let me know.....

Customer:

OK thanks this has been helpful

Dr S.A.Alam :

If you feel that your question was answered then consider pressing the ACCEPT button to credit the assist..

Customer:

OK bye

Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience: MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K