DrKnowsBest
DrKnowsBest, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician with extra cert in peds and womens health
9384716

Im a 45 year old female. In my sleep and often while awake,

I'm a 45 year old female. In my sleep and often while awake, I press my hands underneath my chin folding them inward and wake up in terrible pain. I also press my feet in awkward situations and again wake up in terrible pain and swollen joints. I believe I am also doing something with my left shoulder in my sleep causing damage. This is a problem for many years. I fear it is something neurological.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrKnowsBest replied 5 years ago.

DrKnowsBest :

i have seen patients that have caused terrible carpel tunnel from sleeping this way: i have them sleep with two caprel tunnel wrist braces to prevent this position

DrKnowsBest :

the only way to know if it is a sleep pathology issue is to have a sleep test with your dr

DrKnowsBest :

long term damage to nerves from sleeping like this can occur and an EMG with a neurologist can rule it out, muscle relaxants are also used as a sleep adjunct in these cases

DrKnowsBest :

start with the carpel tunnel braces and see your dr to discuss the others

as i see you are offline i will switch to q/a mode

please accept if no more questions

i would not be too worried about a neurological condition causing this though-more so the peripheral damage from doing it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So sorry, very busy day. My mother has Dystonia but not genetic. I was wondering if it is a symptom of a neurological disease?