Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have a rash on my rib cage on my left side , it came out

Customer Question

I have a rash on my rib cage on my left side , it came out once before about 6 months ago. I did not go into the woods, do not change my very strict semi vegetarian diet, do eat fish and organic chicken sometime, This is an itchy rash that has made that side of my rib cage one large red blob, with little red things all blended together. It seems that I have a little wart on that same side and little tiny warts seem to be coming out in the area I noticed today. I can't figure it out. I never had an allergy to ANYTHING at all!!! I am puzzled and frustrated and won't go to a doctor, maybe holistic or my physics friend,
Can you help????
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
this sounds exactly like shingles
have you shown this to a doctor?

use reply
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No I have not been to a doctor. My friend thought it was shingles then looked at it and said no. How does one get shingles???
Your friend should not be the one to decide as your description fits exactly.

It is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus, same virus, happens as we get older.
Acyclovir started within 3 or 4 days of the rash will shorten the course.

It could be another rash but shingles is likely.

It will run its course in most cases in several weeks, but is better if it is treated.
good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Question? Why did it appear 6 months ago and come back suddenly now?
This 'acyclovir' are you saying I need to get an INJection of this??How certain are you that it is shingles? I had Chcken Pox when I was 16. Does everyone who gets chicken pox as a kid get this is an adult or senior???
Of course you can not have a 100% diagnosis over the internet and we are not here to diagnosis.
This is simply what it likely is.
Acyclovir is an oral medication.
Not everyone gets shingles, only certain individuals but we do not know why some do and some do not.

It can recur, so you have had it twice.
Good luck again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just took a quick look at another site explaining shingles and I looked at these gross looking oozzing blisters. I do NOT have a band of blisters. Mine are little tiny red rashes blended together. When I put aloe on, it stopped itching. I really don't want to take ANY meds and choose to investigate holistic meds for this whatever it is.
Please understand, I did look at some pictures and it did NOT look anything like oozzing stuff.
They don't always ooze
Sometimes it is only one blister
All different configurations

Other possibilities exist...contact dermatitis for example
fungal infection
eczema which can also take many forms.
Eczema is probably the second most common possibility.

You will have to have it examined to be sure.
good luck again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I accept and I still have to go to a doctor which I don't want to do because I want to find a holistic doctor who will treat naturally with herbal treatments not pharmecutical but neutriceutical. My funds are very limited and I don't understand where you said 'don't forget to accept...even after I click accept to give answer credit so you are compensated for time and expertise/???
explain??
I am not compensated unless you accept an answer upon which I receive a portion of the deposit..that's it.
This is fairly easy to treat holistically in some cases.l
I have cured many cases of shingles and of rashes with classical homeopathy which I do, but that is of course much more expensive in most cases than going to a regular doc, as more is out of pocket.

Other physicians that take a nutrient and supplement approach that have MDs can be found at www.functionalmedicine.org see practitioners.

Good luck again

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Thomas for your professionalism and I appreciate your honesty.
As we speak, it is starting to subside, which is really funny. I know it is not stress because I am not stressed at all, just concerned and perplexed as to why I can't figure it out. I am usuallly on top of health issues!
Thanks again and God bless!<br/Customer
You are welcome

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
As you will note a holistic approach was recommended above...an entire holistic medical system with a website.