Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have a really bad sore throat and I cant breathe properly

I have a really bad sore throat and I can't breathe properly and it's causing alot of pain. Seen the doctors and they said there's nothin much they could do besides prescribing antibiotics and anti inflammatory pills. Should I seek another doctor advice?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

How long have you had these symptoms and how long have you been on the antibiotics/anti-inflammatories?

Could you describe the breathing difficulties? Are you feeling tightness in the chest? Cough?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've seen a GP on Friday and he prescribed some antibiotics for me and some flu medicine. On Sunday afternoon. I couldn't breathe properly and went to the a & e. The attending doctor was not helpful at all. Said if I was in so much pain. I might as well be admitted to the hospital as I can't swallow and breathe and go on the drip. He said this is the standard practice to prescribe antibiotics for swollen tonsils.

Ps: I do have swollen tonsils quite often with white spots at the back of my throat. But the last time I had it was almost a year ago but the strong antibiotic another doctor gave seem to have work.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Just to make sure, the difficulty breathing then is due to the swollen tonsils and not due to tightness in the chest, correct?

Were you checked for mono?
Are you on steroids?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No tightness in chest. It's pain from the throat and it seems swollen. Nothin was check at hospital. Doctors weren't helpful. I was wondering if I should visit another hospital and get them to do a proper check on my throat.

Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It would be worthwhile being checked for mono...
Although to be completely honest with you, if you are having severe pain, difficulty swallowing and difficulty breathing, there is not a whole lot more that can be done other than giving you antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection, steroids for swelling of the tonsils, pain medication and IV fluids if you cannot eat or drink.

If you are not receiving pain medication or steroids, those would be two things I would ask for along with a test for mono and a strep throat screen. If you do not have a bacterial infection and instead have mono, there is no point in taking antibiotics (mono is viral).

I hope that you feel better soon,

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your response Dr. Abby.

Is there any particular specialists I should see for my condition?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
A family doctor or internist should be able to properly treat you.

An ENT (ears, nose, throat) would be a specialist type of doctor...but I don't think you need a specialist for a throat infection. I would see an ENT as a last resort.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will an ENT specialists provide proper medication to cure the pain? Sorry for the late questions as I am from Hong Kong.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
It is not a problem!

A family doctor and internal medicine doctor should be providing you with pain medication. No medication will completely rid you of the pain but medications will help you somewhat.

If you have a viral infection like mono, steroids, pain medications and a liquid gargle to help numb the throat (which is temporary) are the main treatments. It will simply take time for the infection to go away.

If bacterial, the antibiotics should help significantly within 48 hours.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Besides, I have been to a ear nose throat specialists before. He advised that I should have my tonsils removed and have prescribed augmentin to cure the tonsils infection I had last year.

I am aware that I may build upon a resistance to the antibiotics if I always request the same kind of antibiotic as the normal ones doesn't help at all. But I do not want to take the surgery option as much as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
I completely understand the resistance to surgery.

However, if you have frequent bacterial infections, you should strongly consider it.

Strep throat usually does not become resistant to penicillin/amoxicillin/augmentin.

Your doctor should be doing throat swabs to confirm that you actually have bacterial throat infections so that you are not given antibiotics needlessly.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The problem here is everytime I go to him, or even at the A & E they did not even do a throat swab at all... I should request them to have it done before they prescribe anymore medicine?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I would.

The fact that you have been taking the antibiotic, however, will affect the current swab. If you had strep throat, then the antibiotic may cause the swab to be negative.
But, since you still have a sore throat, it is worthwhile doing a throat culture and sending it to the lab to see if any bacteria grow.
It is also worthwhile testing you for mononucleosis (this is a blood test).

And, in the future, whenever you develop throat infections, you should have strep screens done.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Abby. I will visit another doctor tomorrow for a second opinion. But I'm not sure if most of the doctors here provide swab test and blood test unless I make another trip to the hospital.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
That is interesting...

It is routine testing done here in the US in our offices.

You shouldn't have to go to a hospital to have it done (I hope). Especially if you see a family doctor who should be doing the screens on kids all the time.

I hope that you feel better soon,

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not One here for my family doctor.

I would seek a second opni
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's not One here for my family doctor.

I would seek a second opinion.

Thank you for the advices.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome.

Take care,

Dr Abby