Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

Ive been feeling a fluttering in my upper abdomen/lower chest

I've been feeling a fluttering in my upper abdomen/lower chest for the last two days. Three days ago, I had either a stomach virus or food poisoning and had some pretty intense vomiting.
I'm wondering... is the fluttering probably related to quivering muscles from the vomting? or could it be an arrythmia? When I feel my chest it feels like the fluttering is occuring right around my lower rib where the lower part of my heart is. But my pulse in my neck and wrist are steady. I only feel the fluttering over my chest. DOes that suggest that it is muscular or simply stomach/esophagus flutters? I suppose my fear is that I had a virus that is attacking my heart and this would be a symptom of that

I'm 36 and pretty active. I had a normal echo done in December and my recent bloodwork came back normal as well.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

This fluttering in all likelihood is due to muscle and is unrelated to the heart. A strong muscular contraction during the vomiting and some electrolyte imbalance are the most likely cause for the fluttering which is also called as muscle fasciculation or twitching. The one or two strong muscle contraction can cause residual muscle fasciculation persistently or episodic for next few days.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun