Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I have a throbbing pain in my ankle, right where the top of my foot meets the bottom of my

Customer Question

I have a throbbing pain in my ankle, right where the top of my foot meets the bottom of my leg (in the front of the leg, just to my left of center, not the rear of the leg). It throbbs for a while (about 30 seconds), then goes away (about a minute or so), then comes back. When it throbbs, it burns a little too. What can this be? I am nervous it may be a blood clot, but I have not had one before and do not know what that would feel like.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 3 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Hello.

Dr Jones :

Is there swelling or skin inflammation in this region?

Customer:

Hello :)

Dr Jones :

Do you suffer from any medical condition?

Customer:

It is a little bigger than my left ankle, but I am right dominiant and don't know if it is just my normal size. Never really looked that closely. There is no skin inflammation. I don't have any known medical conditions, except for asthma, allergies, but nothing I can think of that may be relevant.

Customer:

It feels a little hot, but not to the touch, just the sensation inside the ankle to me.

Dr Jones :

If there is no obvious swelling or skin inflammation then blood clot seems less likely.

Dr Jones :

Since you have mentioned about burning or hot feeling - is there numbness or tingling associated with this?

Customer:

Not really, not in that area.

Dr Jones :

Ok.

Customer:

The small difference in size between the two ankles is okay then?

Dr Jones :

From details clots seems unlikely.Again this is not common region to get involved in clot formation.

Dr Jones :

But since throbbing is one of the symptoms I guess investigation with Doppler can prove helpful.

Dr Jones :

Other investigation which I would like to consider is nerve conduction study in view feeling of burning.

Dr Jones :

A clinical examination prior to these investigation is most desired.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

Are you saying I need to see my doctor?

Dr Jones :

Yes for primary evaluation.

Customer:

If it is not likely a blood clot, what could it be?

Dr Jones :

Burning makes me think more of peripheral neuropathy kind of thing.

Customer:

Is that typically coupled with a throbbing sensation?

Dr Jones :

Intermittent throbbing might be due blood vessel spasm or narrowing.

Customer:

Blood vessels can spasm?

Dr Jones :

Yes.

Customer:

Anything I should take over the counter to help relieve this?

Dr Jones :

Vasconstriction.

Dr Jones :

I guess before medication diagnosis needs to be confirmed.

Customer:

Is Vasconstriction dangerous?

Dr Jones :

No.

Dr Jones :

Many times its physiological.

Customer:

Can it just go away on its own if it is that, or once you get it, it's there to stay. Physiological in so much as just the way I was made?

Dr Jones :

Yes.it may go away on its own.

Dr Jones :

Physiological roughly means non-pathological.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

Okay. I know you recommend a clinical evaluation, but how long do you think I should wait before I should see my physician? I'd like to see if it goes away first. How long would it typically last?

Customer:

Would exercise aggravate it or help or neither?

Dr Jones :

I guess you can wait for a week or so.

Dr Jones :

Sometime involuntary muscle contraction can present like this.So may be exercise can interfere with this.So rest for a while and see if it goes away.

Dr Jones :

Mean while keep close watch on symptoms.

Customer:

Okay, thank you doctor. Have a nice weekend :)

Dr Jones :

You're welcome.

Dr Jones :

If you found my answers helpful Please ACCEPT them.

Customer:

I just did, thanks :)

Dr Jones :

So that I get credit for my time.

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 3 years ago.
Take care.