Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

Intense pain in the upper abdominal area. Hurts to breathe

Intense pain in the upper abdominal area. Hurts to breathe at times and hurts when I cough or sneeze. Sore to the touch. Should I go to the doctor? Pepto Bismol is not helping it. Please advise
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Where is pain more intense {right or left}? Since when are you having these symptoms? Do you have associated symptoms like fever/ vomiting or nausea?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is mostly in the center region but when I lay down the pain is more when I roll to my left side than the right. No fever/vomiting or nausea but loss of appetite. Dont have much energy
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

We need to consider few causes. Upper abdomen is a complex region of the body. There is underlying visceral organs like liver, spleen, pancreas/ bowel loops {including stomach, duodenum}. Sudden intense pain may indicate abnormality at either of these. I would also like to consider inflammation at pleura {as pain increases with coughing/ sneezing} or costochondritis. Muscle spasm may also present with similar symptoms.

But as it seems the pain is severe I would go to ER and get it evaluated. Few investigations like ultrasound of abdomen/ chest x ray/ blood tests/ upper GI scopy will give us the diagnosis.

Till than have a glass of cold milk, antacids {it may smoothen the gastric mucosa to relieve pain}.

Wish you well. God bless

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you consider this enough of an emergency though to go to the ER or should I try to wait it out. Is this something that can go away over time?
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Severe pain is worrisome. See for associated symptoms like distention of abdomen/ increase in severity of pain/ loss of consciousness or dizziness/ nausea, vomiting.