911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician

I cant bend my thumb as it is very painful indeed and is very restricted. what could

I cant bend my thumb as it is very painful indeed and is very restricted.
what could be wrong with it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC : Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,
911DOC : I have a few questions for you about your thumb. Have you had any trauma to your thumb recently? Is it red or swollen. Do you have a history of gout? Does any other part of your hand hurt? I hope to be able to answer with your answer to these questions.
Customer:

the questions are not complete when coming through

Customer:

I have not had any trauma recently. I have pain at the base of the thumb on the palm side and I can feel a small lump at that point. It is a bit swollen. No gout history.

911DOC :

okay....

911DOC :

have you heard of a ganglion cyst/

911DOC :

?

911DOC :

let me show you what one is....

911DOC :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ganglion-cysts/DS00767

911DOC :

if you feel a lump at the base of your thumb this might be an answer....

911DOC :

but here's the most important question.....

911DOC :

over what period of time did your inability to move your thumb develop....

Customer:

It just started suddenly about 6 weeks ago but the strangest thing is that it locks at the joint sometimes but not others. When it locks the pain is awful if I try to straighten my thumb. I cannot hold anything due to pain and am on Morphine already for my spine.

911DOC :

have you seen a physicain about this or had xrays yet

911DOC :

?

Customer:

no Im bedbound with this spinal injury so my dr just referred me to an orthopaedic clinic after talking to me on the phone. Appt is in June.

911DOC :

june? june?

911DOC :

why june?

911DOC :

why can't you get an Xray done soon and have even a good family practice doc take a look at your thumb.... obviously it is causing you quite a bit of discomfort....

Customer:

It is terribly painful but he just said he would refer me when he couldnt get adequate stretcher transport to Xray dept.

911DOC :

i think this could be any of a variety of things but here is what i would do if i were you...

911DOC :

your thumb is not working right...

911DOC :

evidently no one believes you or thinks it's a big problem...

911DOC :

i think, if i were you, that i might start dropping things with the hand with the sore thumb....

911DOC :

it hurts... you can't use it... you are doing the best you can....

911DOC :

i don't mean to alarm you, but some things with the hand and with function of the digits and the thumb need to be addressed right away.... this is getting worse, not better, and you need to make noise until you are taken care of....

911DOC :

ganglion cyst is a possibility.... arthritis.... a tendon problem....

911DOC :

early intervention might help you to get your thumb back in good working order...

911DOC :

i wish i was there myself and i would take you... this is just a real mess.....

911DOC :

is anyone addressing your pain at least? have they put you in a splint?

Customer:

the joint feels enlarged compared to the other one and the tendon is getting trapped I think as it moves in a jerky way then wont bend at all. I will call the dr out for a home visit so he will have to look at it and hopefully can get a sooner appt than June? I wish I could get a splint to stop it moving.

911DOC :

you need a splint... make some noise... this needs fixing sooner rather than later....

911DOC :

i think you are probably right about the tendon...

911DOC :

i wouldn't hesitate to offer your diagnosis....

911DOC :

is there any other way in which i could help you?

911DOC :

by the way, if you are able to get a splint until the doctor can see you i would ask for a thumb spica splint....

Customer:

Im grateful for your advice. One qurstion...will this probably require surgery to cure it?

911DOC :

not sure....

911DOC :

would need to examine you... it is possible it might....

911DOC :

splinting might make it better....

911DOC :

again, the sooner the better... i wish you the best....

911DOC :

will check back in a minute to see if you have any more questions.... got kids to collect....

Customer:

ok thanks

911DOC :

you are welcome.... please click 'accept' if you are satisfied with my answer so that i may be reimbursed... if you have more questions about your thumb please ask.

Customer:

should I force the thumb to bend when its stiff and locked at the joint?

911DOC :

no... you do not want to rupture the tendon if that is indeed the cause.... the problem is that it's hard for me to advise you without being able to examine you.... don't force it... splint for now... then when someone can examine you and diagnose you you will either be treated with surgery or rehabilitation.... i do so hope you get help soon.

911DOC :

be well, and i will check back in case you have any further.

Customer:

thank you very much for all advice and concern

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician