Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

I have a prickly sensation on the right side of my neck extending

I have a prickly sensation on the right side of my neck extending up and including my ear. Also am experiencing an ocassional 'shooting pain' on the right side of my head above my ear. The pain is inside my head. It feels like it's on the side of my brain. Lasts a few seconds then will return 10 or 15 minutes later. Also there is some numbness in my right forearm and hand. The brief bout of pain in my head started 2 days ago. The numbness in my forearm and hand began a few hours ago...it isn't too bad, as I'm typing--using it at the moment, but it feels somewhat clumbsy. Is this a sign of a stroke? or am I nervous over nothing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Is there pain when you move your upper back, neck or shoulder?

Any significant past medical or surgical history?

Are you diabetic, have high blood pressure, are sedentary, stressed, over weight, smoker, take alcohol?

Is your cholesterol or lipid profile normal?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am taking medication for an ear infection. I am not diabetic. I have controlled high b/p and normal cholesterol. I'm overweight by about 30 lbs, but exercise 3 to 5 times a week. I quit smoking 6 years ago (an ex pack a day for 40 years) I had a triple bypass 5 years ago, also aneurysm surgery followed by staff infection surgery below my navel. In general I have been feeling well until these recent sensations. My b/p this morning was 120/70 pulse 75. I don't think that I am running a temperature.

Your symptoms are suggestive of pinched nerves in the neck. The pinching of the nerves in the lower joints of the neck can cause numbness in forearm and arm. The upper joint of the neck can cause pain above the head. An x-ray, MRI of the neck and nerve conduction velocity study (NCV) can clinch the diagnosis. Having said that you should get an evaluation done by your doctor for the following reasons;

1) Your ear infection also can be responsible for the pain in ear and above. The ear infections can extend to the skull bones and rarely to brain. So these should be ruled out.

2) You have some significant risk factors. Though you pain is very unlikely to be related to stroke, in your age group, we take an highly precautionary attitude and an MRI and colored doppler study of the carotid arteries are mandatory. These arteries take blood from neck to brain. A clot in them or decreased blood flow can cause increased risk of stroke.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I will follow through with your suggestions.

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

Dr. Arun