Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

I currently have bad leg circulation What can I do to improve

I currently have bad leg circulation ? What can I do to improve it ? I am currently unable to exercise.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

What are your symptoms and how long?
did you consult a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tingling in the legs , numbness in parts of my feet. I have been a smoker for over 40 yrs.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

The decreased blood circulation in the leg may be due to various causes like arterial thrombosis, buerger's disease, anatomic abnormality, etc.

The smoking is a risk factor for buerger's disease and should be stopped.

You should have the doppler of leg arteries, arterial angiogram, coagulation profile, blood test, etc after your doctor to know the underlying etiology.

The treatment is according to underlying cause.The drugs to dilate and improve blood flow may be used.In some cases surgery may be required.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of buerger's disease

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Could the bad circulation be caused by diabetes ? I will contact my doctor, but I have not been satisfied with him . Is there anything I can do to improve circulation in the interim.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

The diabetes may also cause the decreased circulation as it predisposes to atherosclerosis due to plaque formation.If you are having diabetes then you should conrtrol it to normal levels.

The other causes as mentioned above should also be ruled out.Definitely you should try to stop smoking as it also predisposes to such symptoms.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My question has still not been answered. Is there anything I can do to improve circulation ?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

You can take the antiplatelet drugs like aspirin, clopidogrel, anticoagulants and arterial dilator drugs like trental(pentoxifylline).

You should avoid the exposure to cold as this may also decrease the circulation.The quitting of tobacco products is also recommended to you.

Let me know if you need any more information

Thank you