911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

I take hydrocodone 10/325 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours for severe

I take hydrocodone 10/325 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours for severe back pain. Watson brand works much better/lasts longer vs. M367. How many pills per month is allowable in the state of WI? Can my M.D. also prescribe another pain med for migraines? I have a new M.D. and my old one used to prescribe me Tylenol #3 (120/mo.) and percocet 5/325 (180/mo.)
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

The state of WI does not limit... from what I can find... the number of narcotic pain pills your physician can prescribe, but, the DEA and the state medical boards DO check to see if certain physicians are prescribing more narcotics than they think is reasonable based on their practice type.

911DOC :

Another pain med is not what you need for migraines... A migraine is best treated with a migraine medicine....

911DOC :

You are in a real bind, mostly because of the following.... when you say you take hydrocodone 10/325 you are partly correct.... but the 325 means 325mg of tylenol, and tylenol 3 has at least 325mg of tylenol in it and percocet 5/325 also has 325mg of tylenol in it....

911DOC :

tylenol is safe, it's safe within wide dose ranges, but if you take too much it will KILL you by poisoning your liver....

911DOC :

So you are on a bunch of medicines for pain... all of which have tylenol in them....

911DOC :

you need to be very careful....

911DOC :

Standing by for questions.

911DOC :

are you there?

Customer:

Yes, I realize that the tylenol can do liver damage thus I never take more than recommended. I've tried various migraine meds and for whatever reason. Tylenol #3 works. The same for the Watson brand 10/325 vs. the M367. M367 seems to only last for about 3-4 hours whereas the Watson brand works for approx. 5-6 hours which is what need. I am ONLY on the hydrocodone 10/325 but when the pharmacy gives me the M367 v. the Watson brand I have days where I need to take more of the M367 which is still not over the recommended 'tylenol' amount. What I'm really asking is would I be out of line to ask my M.D. to up the amount of Hydrocodone so that it would last for 30 days? I'm uninsured so I'm paying cash for my meds so does it matter? I don't want my M.D. to get into trouble with the DEA.

911DOC :

no harm in asking....

Customer:

Again, I'm only taking the hydrocodone for my back. I'm not taking anything for migraines. Can you recommend anything?

911DOC :

what have you tried for migraines?

911DOC :

imitrex?

911DOC :

zomig?

911DOC :

amerge?

911DOC :

have you seen a neurologist for your headaches?

911DOC :

how do you know they are migraines in other words?

Customer:

Beta blockers, calcium blocker, emitrix and a host of other drugs that I mentioned I can't remember as I saw a pain mgmt M.D. over 10 years ago and he put me on about 10 different things.

911DOC :

when was the last CT scan of your head... and who told you you have migraines?

Customer:

I'm had migraines for 40 years. My mom also had them. Lucky me! Last CT was about 5 years ago.

911DOC :

okay. strange that the specailty migraine medicines do not work on your migraines....

911DOC :

what else would you like to ask me about?

Customer:

Both my MD and my ENT told me they were migraines. Hey, I'm a strange cookie when it comes to drugs and what works and what doesn't. Is there a difference between Watson and the Mallicort (sp?)

911DOC :

not chemically, but if you believe there is a difference, then there is for you...

Customer:

Ok...thanks! I'll let my pharmacy know I only want the Watson brand. CIAO!

911DOC :

and thank you...

911DOC :

please click 'accept so that i may be paid for my time...

911DOC :

hope you have good luck with your new doc and feel better.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician