DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My left tonsil is swollen and hurts when I swallow. It is also

Customer Question

My left tonsil is swollen and hurts when I swallow. It is also red. What could it be? Should I see a doctor or just wait?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
A single swollen tonsil is strep until proven otherwise so you need a rapid strep test because antibiotics are need to treat it.
Any urgy care can to this.
Tonsil stones, viral infections and other bacterial can do this but strep is the biggest concern since it can lead to worse disease in some cases if not eradicated, or you can become a carrier and spread it around.

so best to get the test
good luck
let me know if you have further questions
You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Any urgy care can to this.

so best to get the test
good luck