TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon, Doctor
Experience:  General Surgery
26533498

How long can a person live with one lung

Customer Question

How long can a person live with one lung?
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheSurgeon replied 3 years ago.

TheSurgeon :

can you tell me what the lung was removed for?

TheSurgeon, Doctor
Experience: General Surgery
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
I would need to know the results of your pre- and post- operative pulmonary function tests, specifically total lung volume and forced expiratory volume
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My breathing tests have been about 65% and the pulmonary Doc told me that she was pleased with the oxygenation and something else in the last test. I don't know total lung volume and expiratory volume, but I'm doing pretty well....aerobics, some tennis, walking, working etc.

That all sounds great, if you can still exercise that's really good news. If you had cancer, the odds of recurrence are more worrisome than actually dying from the lack of a lung. Did you have lung cancer? If so, what stage were you?
TheSurgeon, Doctor
Experience: General Surgery
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am haing a bit of difficulty navigating this site, but it looks like a good thing. Yes, stage 2B adenomal carcinoma non small cell. Could you please answer here rather than directing me back to the site for additional charges of $35. each time. Thanks.
yes sorry, this site can be tough to navigate, i didn't know it was sending you back. with stage 2b there is still a pretty good 5-10 year survival with radiation treatment. The fact that you are able to exercise is good news. Just keep up the activity and see your pulmonary doc and therapist as scheduled.
I noticed you accidentally paid $35 twice. You can contact the justanswer website and ask for a refund on the second payment, I don't know why it did that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.....I guess what you're saying is that the lung issue is secondary to the issue ot thepossibility of the cancer recurring. I definitely undertand that. I just wish that there was some data on living with one lung. But, I am getting to think that it just doesn't exist and that one lung, if it does the job, is just fine! Good luck! I just saw your message regarding the two charges, thanks!
As long as you are oxygenating your body on one lung, it's hard to say just how "bad" the surgery will affect you. If you were having breathing difficulties or couldn't exercise, that would be a different issue and I think your life expectancy might be limited from the one lung. Just promise me you will never smoke!!!!! That would certainly shorten your lifespan due to having only one lung.
I just did a very quick literature search, and essentially if you survived the surgery after the first 2-3 months, life expectancy depends on the stage of the cancer, not the lung removal itself.