Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

My son went to the doctor today for a sore on his leg. He was

My son went to the doctor today for a sore on his leg. He was told he may have a staph infection or a brown recluse bite. He started antibiotics. His leg is beginning to swell. It's not just in the infected area. Should i take him to the hospital tonight.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

what are the drugs he is taking?
any associated fever, difficulty in breathing?
how long is the sore present?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is on sulfa meth/tmp ds tab twice a day. No fever. The sore has been there for about 3 days. It continued to get larger and redder. It was the size of a dime, then a quarter. The area around it is the size of a half dollar, but red area extends about three inches around it. But his leg from his knee to his foot is larger than the other leg.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for information,

The infectious cause should be treated with appropriate antibiotics.If the drug sulf meth/tmp is not working then you may change to some other drug like augmentin, cephalexin, azithromycin, etc along with antiinflammatory drugs like motrin, advil, to control the pain and inflammation.

You may now give the motrin/advil to control pain and swelling and seek the doctor tommorow morning.

The local examination is also required and if there is pus collection then it should be drained to speeden the recovery.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you