Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

What type of doctor treats edema/lymphedema of the feet/ankles

What type of doctor treats edema/lymphedema of the feet/ankles\ legs? My doctors acknowledge a problem with standard answer is "compression stockings". THanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Lymphedema is specificaly treated by Vascular surgeons with training in lymphology and other specialities are also involved depending upon the etiology of the underlying conditions for example, if the lymphedema is due to parasitic infestation like Filiriasis then an infectious disease specialist will also be involved. Otherwise, vascular conditions or conditions pertaining specifically and primarily to lymph vessels are treated by Vascular Surgeons alone.
Compression sockings are specialized stockings and a great deal of science is involved in what size and type of stockings to use in patients. The vascular surgeon decides that according to the extent of the condition and the size of the patients limb. They should never be ill fitting otherwise the whole purpose remains unserved.
Although, surgical intervention is never directly involved in cure but a Vascular surgeon or lymphologist will better understand the treatment and management of such conditions.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist.
A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated.