Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

what effects of having a peice of grahite from a pencil stepped

Customer Question

what effects of having a peice of grahite from a pencil stepped on years ago and coming out the top of the foot and causing shocking pain in the big toe when bumped what damage did it do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Well it cannot do any damage . It just traveled under the skin and the body is now expelling it out. It will be in shape of a boil and the peice will be expelled.
You may not worry about any damage being done. There is no chemical injury, or physical injury that is suspected in such a case .
Just keep taking the antibiotics , and it would be fine.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
As I understand it the injury was years ago but you still have pain.
If this is correct then you would not expect the graphite to cause a boil and come out and everything be OK.
Is this the case?
This would indicated nerve damage if I am reading your question correctly.
Let me know

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what can be done for the nerve damage
First of all, see a podiatrist to measure the stresses on your foot and see if there is metatarsalgia or other pressure putting pressure on the nerve.
This would correct any chronic inflammation and they can do so with custom insoles.
Wear wide box toe shoes in the meantime.

If it is nerve damage from a long time ago it might not go way.
However, you don't know until you address the structure of the foot.
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions