Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

My 14 yr. old daughter has just noticed a hard marble sized

My 14 yr. old daughter has just noticed a hard marble sized lump behind her left ear, she says it is not painful at all. She got her cartilage pierced about a month ago but it shows no signs of infection. She also does all star cheerleading and got hit last week would this cause a hard bump?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

how long is the bump?
was he hit on the head?
did you consult a doctor yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it's round marble sized just noticed yesterday. She said she did get hit at cheerleading but I was concerned because it was hard. No doctor yet, she is very athletic and has a track meet today that she does not want to miss. I'm sick
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

The sudden appearance of swelling may be due to the haematoma caused by injury.The blood collected under the skin may cause such round swelling.It will take a week or two for its complete remission.The larger haematoma may need surgical drainage.

The other possibility could be the infection which may also be associated with such swelling.The oral antibiotic like cephalexin, ofloxacin are useful in such cases.The drugs like motrin, advil are helpful in controlling the inflammation.

The other less common causes lipoma, cyst, abscees etc. You should have the physical examination done by doctor/surgeon to know the underlying etiology.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should it be a hard lump though with being hit in the head?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Yes, the direct injury on head may cause blood vessel to bleed under the skin which may cause the swelling.

It takes times for the swelling to disappear as the blood gets absorbed slowly.This is known as hematoma that is collection of blood.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice