Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My brother has an uncontrollable nose bleed which started with

My brother has an uncontrollable nose bleed which started with no cause. He bled approximately 24 hours before the could get it under some control be it unfortunately began again. Most of this time it was moderate to heavy bleeding. It appears to be post nasal however the doctors are not able to locate the bleed and after packing has been unsuccessful in stopping the bleed. He is bleeding from both nostril as well as thru the mouth. Upon packing both sides he experiences so much pressure in his head and ear he said that he thought they were going to pop. Blood was coming thru his mouth but not fast enough to release the pressure. His eye began to turn blood shot red. When they release one nostril Much blood which had backed up was released and so did much of the pressure. He also experience some hearing lost in one ear. His blood pressure is not stable but no history of High Blood Pressure. I am telling all of ths because the doctor that is treating him said he never seen any or treated anyone with this type of nose bleed and I thought can you help him please with any suggestion?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
He needs to see an Ear Nose and Throat specialist immediately
Was he treated in the ER?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That who was treating him in the ER who stated he never seen anything like this before. He is the one that came in and packed his nostrils several times using all three methods and this had not helped.
OK
Ask the ER to get him to ENT.
This will expedite things.

This is a bleeding vessel that they have not identified and it can re-bleed.
I have seen such situations where the person winds up in the ICU.

The ent can use special equipments and scopes, even under anesthesia if necessary.

If it is stopped for a time, at least he will have this doctor as his nose doctor, and if it happens again, he can go straight to the ER to see if the bleeder needs to be cauterized, thus having a more permanent effect.

Good luck
let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry I should have explain one more thing he has been admitted to the hospital. They tried to release him this morning and after no bleeding over night and evidently the blod pooled somewhere in his head???? Not sure but when he stood up it start to bleed perfusely once again and they could not release him. (yesterday they release him from ER just so that he could return 2 hour later after being cauterized). Must have been the wrong vessel. I don't know if this changes your response but I thought I should tell you he's been cauterized 3 times
This is more convenient
Make sure he gets the ENT doctor to see him now, while he is in the hospital again...do you know who "cauterized" the vessel/ Was it ENT/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the doctor he is seeing IS an ENT and he is the doctor that is having problems stopping his nose bleed. That is why I am asking for help. The ENT is the doctor who stated he has never seen anything like this before.
OK
The next step if he has been to the OR and if bleeding is still not controlled is selective facial angiography where they use dye to find the vessel that is bleeding.
Ask the doctor about this and if the patient is to this point.
As you stated, he bleed after a vessel was fixed.
There could be more than one vessel and re-cauterization might be necessary.
Ask about all of this.
good luck again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you!
you are welcome any time

Please don’t forget to accept: You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc