Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.

My tongue gets raised bumps along both sides, when this happens

My tongue gets raised bumps along both sides, when this happens my tongue hurts. What is this and what causes this?

Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

I would presume that the bumps you are describing are lingual papilla . Enlargement of these finger-like projections usually is the result of trauma, either through

biting the tongue,reactant foods (acid or spicy) or subconscious habits such as pushing your tongue against the teeth.

Other causes of pain and swelling of the papilla may be the result of dry mouth (xerostomia) that can be caused by some medications, or diseases of the salivary glands.

Finally, sometimes as a result of loss of saliva and or illnesses, you can develop an over growth of yeast in the oral cavity (Candida sp.)

You should see a dentist and get your oral cavity and tongue examined to specify the reasons for the bumps.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.