Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

I had a Vitrectomy one week ago with an air bubble. THe bubble is getting smaller but my

Customer Question

I had a Vitrectomy one week ago with an air bubble. THe bubble is getting smaller but my vision around the bubble is very blurry with lots of tiny black dots. Is this what is meant by blurry vision? Are the dots actually the air bubble breaking up or is it actually blood in my eye? My Vitrectomy was needed due to a retinal tear which had filled my eye with blood.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online?

Customer:

yes

Dr PG (M.D.) :

can you tell me are you seeing small dots or a big clump of floaters?

Customer:

I am seeing lots of tiny black dots.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what you are experiencing are vitreous floaters

Dr PG (M.D.) :

The gas or air was put in your eye to maintain the retina in the attached position till the healing is complete

Dr PG (M.D.) :

that is why you were asked to maintain a particular position.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

The dots that you are seeing are due to inflammation which is normally present post-operatively

Dr PG (M.D.) :

this will also decrease slowly as the inflammation subsides

Dr PG (M.D.) :

rarely, there might be some residual bleeding or vitreous hemorrhage, which will absorb slowly with time

Dr PG (M.D.) :

when was your last follow up with your eye surgeon?

Customer:

My last appt was the day after my surgery which was last Wed. I understand about the bubble & the bedrest. You say that inflammation is causing the dots but what exactly am I looking at - RBC's, WBC's, debris, air bubble, left over debris from the bleed? Also, how do you determine if this is a residual bleed? Where would this come from - the original tear site?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

in majority of cases the bleeding caused by a retinal tear is removed during surgery

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but rarely some RBC's remain adherent at some placed of the retina and are left behind for them to absorb slowly

Dr PG (M.D.) :

in post inflammation, the floaters atht you see are mostly WBC

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if your surgeon saw you after surgery, then he must have examined the retina

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if he was able to see your retina, then the bleed has been removed or cleared during surgery

Customer:

Yes, my doctor saw the retina & he said it looked good but I don't see him for another week. I just wanted to know if the "dots" were something that I should call him about or if they are normal. It sounds as if they are normal.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

no, the dots are seen normally

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if there is sudden decrease in vision in the operated eye like a curtain, then you need to consult him

Dr PG (M.D.) :

to look for a re-bleed or re-detachment of retina

Customer:

Thank you, You were very helpful.

Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997