Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

high blood preasure which he controls with a pill every morning

Hi, I would like to ask a question concerning my husband. He is 50 years old, a pastor of a church and he does not smoke or drink. He has a high blood preasure which he controls with a pill every morning.
His problem is that he sleeps very lightly and he does not get any rest so he is most of the time not only tired but exhusted. Sometimes he uses sleeping pills but he still feels exhusted. Any suggestions
He had blood tests last November and everything was normal.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
dear customer,

is he having any stress, anxiety or depression?
how many hours does he sleep?
what drug is he taking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I think he is having some stress.
He might sleep normal hours but during those hours he wakes up many times either to use the bathroom (we checked that) or from distractive dreams. He sometimes takes Stilnox which the cardiologist gave him because we told him that about his sleep.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thank you for the information,

The stress, anxiety or depression may cause the sleep disturbances and such symptoms. He should try to be stress free and practice good sleep hygiene.

He should also check his bp regulary and take the drugs accordingly after consulting the doctor.

The drugs like melatonin may be used to control the insomnia in a natural way and its available as OTc without prescription.The dose if 0.5 to 1.5 mg at night time and according to the response, it might be increased.

The other drugs like alprax, zolpidem, nitrazepam may be used if the symptoms are severe.These drugs are available only after prescription from doctor.

He should also avoid caffeine, alcohol if he takes so.The psychiatric cause like depression, anxiety should also be ruled out which may also be associated with such symptoms

Here is the link for more information

treatment of insomnia

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you

Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He tried Melatonin many times and it does nothing for him. Even if he takes 3 or 4 he still wakes up. He does not take any alchohol. However he is under a lot of pressure as his job requires him to solve people's problems all the time and carries a lot of responsibility. He goes to bed early but wakes up all the time.    
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 3 years ago.
dear customer,

The dose of melatonin is different for different person.It needs to be increased if no response.The dose upto 6 mg and more before bed time can be given.

If there is no response then he may try the prescription sleeping pills like zolpidem, alprax, diazepam, nitrazepam for his insomnia.

Here is the link for more information

melatonin dosing

Let me know if you have any doubt
.

thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor