Dr. Trepp
Dr. Trepp, Doctor
Experience:  M.D. Internal Medicine
19694963

i have an infection on my heel that started from a blister.

i have an infection on my heel that started from a blister. Area around is red and hard and initial spot is getting purple. I have been soaking with Epsom salts (no drainage) and cannot really put weight on it...can I still self-treat?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Trepp replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Trepp :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. I would like to help you with your question. Can you tell me more about this spot. How long has it been present? How big is it? Do you have any other health problems such as diabetes?

Customer:

It started overnight on thursday with some swelling. After being on my feet all day yesterday the swelling continued. No additional issues. The spot is approx. the size of the tip of a finger. The redness and swelling start at ankle and go around to back of heel. It is not aggregious.

Customer:

Am More concerned that I can't really walk on it.

Dr. Trepp :

Okay. Any health problems such as diabetes or problems with wound healing?

Customer:

none

Dr. Trepp :

These types of infections can be treated conservatively, but it makes me nervous that you are having difficulty with walking. There are many bacteria that like to hang out on the feet/shoes which can make these infections problematic. I think that conservative treatment for up to 48 hours might be okay but if you are not seeing a lot of improvement then this should be seen by a doctor. These infections usually require antibiotics to heal properly.

Dr. Trepp :

If the redness gets worse such as going up the leg or onto the foot then I think you should go then- that would be a sign that the infection is spreading.

Customer:

As I assumed but would rather wait to go see my own Dr. on Monday as opposed to the ER on a weekend. I can put weight on it but it is painful to am gymping.

Dr. Trepp :

Try to stay off the foot to give it a chance to heal. If you develop a fever you should go to the ER or if the redness starts spreading. (Promise me that!) Infections in otherwise healthy people are okay, but I have seen the rare infection that has gone bad.

Customer:

Will the soaking help? I will stay off and have been keeping an eye it.

Dr. Trepp :

Yes, soaking is good for it and will act as a mild antibiotic and help open the lesion and it may drain. Draining is good and helps the body get rid of the infection. Its okay to keep soaking the foot. You should also use a topical antibiotic to cover the wound and do your best to keep it clean.

Dr. Trepp :

I hope this was helpful to you. Do you have any other questions that I can answer today?

Customer:

no, thank you!

Dr. Trepp, Doctor
Experience: M.D. Internal Medicine