Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

Please help me to understand why reactive axillary nodes

Please help me to understand why "reactive" axillary nodes (with no malignancy) are still not a concern. I had a breast reduction done for cosmetic reasons and the term "reactive" was used to describe some nodes that were taken. Should I be trying to figure out what made the nodes reactive or should I just let go of this worry? should I have further testing? Thank you.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 3 years ago.

skindoctor2000 :

When was the Breast Reduction Surgery performed and was the time gap between the surgery and the Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology testing done?

Customer:

It was done for cosmetic reasons and to relieve back/shoulder/neck pain. No FNAC was done. The nodes were taken as part of axillary tissue during the reduction. Surgery done a week ago.

Customer:

If FNAC is done in pathology (and i don't know whether it is), the pathologist probably didn't test the specimens until the Monday after the surgery was done on Friday before. I got my copy of the report the Wed. after the surgery.

skindoctor2000 :

There are three distinct patterns of benign lymphadenopathy:

• Follicular hyperplasia - Seen in infections, autoimmune disorders, and nonspecific reactions.

• Paracortical hyperplasia - Seen in viral infections, skin diseases, and nonspecific reactions.

• Sinus histiocytosis - Seen in lymph nodes draining limbs, inflammatory lesions, and malignancies.

skindoctor2000 :

If you have no history of any of the above then you neednt worry

Customer:

I have no way to know if I've had a history of the sinus histiocytosis because this is the first time I've ever had nodes removed for any reason. As far as I know I have never had any kind of cancer -- all normal mammograms, breast ultrasounds, blood tests, etc. through the years. Could mild reactions to things like pollen or cat dandruff (we have both around here) cause nodes to be "reactive"? Could I have had some sort of inflammation and not been aware of it?

skindoctor2000 :

no , reactions to pollen or dandruff cannot give rise to reactive axillary lymph nodes

skindoctor2000 :

if you have done all the tests and they have come normal , you shouldnt worry about it

Customer:

Should I try to figure out what caused the initial reaction or is there no way to know this?

skindoctor2000 :

no now there would not be any way of finding out unless you have lymph nodes swollen on other side

Customer:

Nodes were taken from both sides in the reduction and both sides showed "reactive." Is this common?

skindoctor2000 :

you shouldnt worry unless you get pain or swelling or weight loss

skindoctor2000 :

this is very common

Customer:

Does it usually go on to indicate a more serious underlying problem or is it usually self-limiting?

skindoctor2000 :

it is self limited

Customer:

One last questio

skindoctor2000 :

yes

Customer:

One last question. I was given an IV prior to surgery and then surgery itself lasted five hours. Could the nodes have become reactive during this time from the trauma, extra fluids, etc. before they were taken out?

skindoctor2000 :

no it will not occur soon

skindoctor2000 :

it takes time for reactive lymph nodes to be detected

Customer:

so this was some sort of pre-existing influence that made them reactive, then?

skindoctor2000 :

yes correct

Customer:

Okay, thank you very much !

Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience: MBBS DNB