Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Two weeks after having a heart catheterization, I returned

Two weeks after having a heart catheterization, I returned to the emergency room with severe groin pain. I could not walk without help. They did an ultra sound and said there was no blood clot, but I did have a small blow out that would heal on its own. They sent me home with pain medication. I got better within a week, but still favor my right leg some, and still have some pain in the groin area, but not severe pain. I would like to know what happened, and why the severe pain.

Did they say that it was a blow out of the artery? But there was no clot to prevent bleeding from the blow out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They said it was a small blow out, and would heal on its own, but didn't think this was causing the pain.

But was it of the artery?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they showed it to my husband and I on the ultra sound screen.

Thank you for the additional information.

If there was a blow out of the artery, even a small one, there would tend to be some bleeding and a clot, even if only a small amount to form a plug and prevent further bleeding. However, since the ultrasound did not show any bleeding into the tissue, there is not a concern that there is a blood clot in the tissue (referred to as a hematoma) pressing on the nerve. A hematoma is the most common cause of groin pain after a catheterization. It is also possible that there was some injury to the nerve, either direct trauma while the needle was being inserted for the procedure or pressure on the nerve while pressure was applied after completion of the procedure. It is also possible to get some inflammation in or around the nerve, which can develop after the procedure was done, and is probably a late reaction to an injury to the nerve. For all of these causes, the problem will typically gradually resolve with no long-term problems, although a large hematoma may need a specific intervention, but the ultrasound would indicate that this is not a problem for you.