Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

what can be done about anxiety and insomnia I have not slept

what can be done about anxiety and insomnia? I have not slept well for weeks. The past two days I have not been able to sleep at all. I have tried many alternative supplements, but I guess my anxiety is too high for them to work.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

did you consult a doctor yet?
how long are the symptoms?
do you smoke or drink alcohol?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

WE have just moved into this area two years ago and none of the doctors are taking new patients.

Off and on for two months, but last few days has gotten worse. I have not slept at all for two days. I have been under extreme stress for the past 10 yrs. trying to keep our business going. WE now are trying to sell it. I think this is where the anxiety is from. I get anxious because I cannot sleep.

No I do not some or drink alcohol.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

thank you for the information,

The stress and anxiety associated may be the reason for the insomnia and such symptoms.

You should try to avoid such stress which may worsen the symptoms.You should alos avoid taking caffeine or alcohol if you take so.

The insomnia can be treated with various prescription drugs like benzodiazepines to reduce the symptoms.

The OTC drugs like melatonin at bedtime in the dose of 0.5 to 1.5 mg initially is also helpful in such sleep disorder.It is available without prescription.The dose may be increased according to response.

The antianxiety and antidepressant drugs may be taken after consulting a doctor/mental health specialist if the symptoms are not controlled.

Here is the link for more information

melatonin for insomnia

causes and treatment of anxiety

Let me know if you have any doubt ot need any more information

thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have been using melatonin, 3mlg. What about sleepless nights? How long can I handle this? AS I said I have not slept for two nights and am not sleepy during the day.

I am awake all night.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
Dear customer,

The insomnia if left untreated may effect your performance , cause psychiatric problems, slowed reaction time along with increased risk of hypertension and diabetes.

Since you have not slept for the last two night , you should consult the doctor/psychiatrist at the earliest for the prescription drugs.The drugs like xanax, alprax, nitrazepam , zolpidem, etc are helpful in the symptoms.

Here is the link for more information

treatment of insomnia

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read the testimonials and one individual said they were put on Citalopram. They said it worked and no side effects. Are you familiar with this drug?
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 5 years ago.
dear customer,

The citalopram is an antidepressant drugs with less anticholinergic side effects.It is used to treat the depression and anxiety disorders.

The anxiety and depression may be the cause of your insomnia due to the worry about your business.

You may start this drug after consulting your doctor and is likely to benefit you.Though it may take 2-3 weeks for the benefits to be seen.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

thank you