Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have been having alot of trouble making a bowel movement

I have been having alot of trouble making a bowel movement for the past 3 months, when I used to go like 3 times a day. I've been to a doctor who didn't tell me anything useful about a month ago, a few days ago I decided to take action myself and try some "at home remedies" I have been on a detox juice fast for 48 hours and haven't had a bowel movement so a few hours ago I tried the salt water flush (2 tsp of sea salt in luke warm water) because apparently it cleans out your entire digestive system by working to illiminate the dangerous amount of salt in the body, however it's been almost 4 hours now and I still haven't had a bowel movement. Should I go to a doctor because the salt is still in me? What can I do to help me have a bowel movement? I really need to and I know it's there but I guess it's really hard to do?

Thank you for your question. The salt may be absorbed into your blood. Try more conventional and proven methods for the constipation.

You must try to avoid stimulant laxatives. Give this regimen a chance. It takes time.

I will recommend a regimen for you to try to get you to have one or two normal bowel movements a day. The first approach is to increase fiber and bulk in your stool. If this fails, then you must go on to stimulant laxatives or other agents.

First, to increase the bulk in the stool, you must take fiber every am. ie. bran, bran cereal, bran muffin. Also 2 salads a day and ample fruits and vegetables. (avoid gas forming vegetables such as beans or broccoli, cabbage) Psyllium agents such as Metamucil, Citrocel, Konsyl, Hydrocil, Perdiem 2-4 heaping tablespoons a day should help increase the bulk in your stool. You may instead want to try Fibercon, 6-8 capsules a day.Also try Colace (stool moisturizer). Start slowly and increase the amount every day to avoid side effects of gas or bloating.

Try to train yourself to have one or two movements a day by sitting on the toilet the same time every day.

Probiotics, like Activia, will help.

Make sure you don't have hypothyroidism as this can affect bowel movements.

I have found this works for most of my patients after minor adjustments you must make yourself. Let me know how you make out after a few weeks. This takes time and does not work overnight.

You can use Miralax on a short term basis or an enema if you are really
uncomfortable.

Ask your doctor about Amitiza which is a relatively new drug.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000384

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been taking metimucil pretty regularly, but I haven't in about a week. do you suggest I try taking some now? I really don't think the problem is that my stool needs to be more hard, I think/know that it is actually too hard, I need some sort of stool loosener, do you know of anything I can get over the counter that will help loosen my stool, preferably fast? Thanks by the way.. I will go to my doctor about Amitiza and Hypothyroid
Metamucil taken in the dose that I suggested will make your stools formed and soft. I would suggest that you begin to take it now. Hopefully you will not need to use Amitiza if you follow this regimen closely.