Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Would suboxone show up on a 10 panel drug screen from a hospital.

Would suboxone show up on a 10 panel drug screen from a hospital. I got hurt at work and had to go to the hospital where they gave me a drug test.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

The buprenorphine in Suboxone is a synthetic opioid that is chemically unrelated to morphine and is therefore not typically detected by a urine drug screening test. The concern would be if the specimen is further tested by a confirmatory test, such as gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC/MS); for example, if any other test was positive, either a true or a false positive). If a GC/MS test is performed, then the GC/MS would be able to detect the presence of the buprenorphine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How long does it take to get the results backon a typical 10 panel and also a gc/ms . And also what is a split specimen collection. In the paper they gave me it says its a 31685 10 panel (r) and it was released to sbmf courier do you know what this is

A split specimen collection is frequently done in the event that a confirmatory test must be done. The initial screening test is done on a first specimen, while the second specimen is saved for further testing, if necessary. The 31685 is the procedure code for the test that is done. The rapidity of results depends upon where the lab work is done. If the initial screening is done within the hospital, then the result is usually back within hours. If done elsewhere, the speed of return of the screen is more dependent upon the transportation, which usually occurs on a daily basis, sot he lab results usually return within a day or two. The GC/MS takes longer and is dependent upon the volume of tests done at the lab. Labs that perform a lower volume of tests may only perform the tests on certain days. Therefore, the results of the GC/MS may vary from a few days to a week or so. The SBMF courier is the courier service for the laboratory that apparently is performing these tests.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So the only way they would do a gc/ms test is if i tested positive one the first test for the standard drugs.

That is the usual approach. There are some settings in which the intent is to perform a GC/MS alone, such as monitoring a person receiving chronic opioids and the doctor wants to be assured that they are taking only the medicines that are prescribed. If the doctor knows that a GC/MS will be done, there is no reason to perform the screening test. However, in your case, since they collected a split specimen, that typically indicates that they are performing a screening test, and then only perform the GC/MS if any test on the screen is positive.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.