Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I have a full rotator cuff tear. I am 64 Years old. I am in

I have a full rotator cuff tear. I am 64 Years old. I am in good shape and want to play Golf.

1. Is there a Non-Surgical Solution?

2 .Can I postpone the surgery? and Is Arthoscopic Surgery the way to go?

My sholulder hurts a little at the very end of the Gold Swing ( 5 on a scale of 10)...can I postpone surgery to fall this years. (It has been six months since I had fall in the bathroom which I think was the cause) I am told that i will need a Arthoscopic surgery and that I can postpone this to Fall

3. How painful the recovery process willbe and how long will it take?

4. If it is OK to postpone the surgery...will Home ultra sonic treatment + Ice pack + hot pack or what can I use if the pain needs to be addressed. At this point there is not much pain (5)

Regards,

Mani
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

I would try to answer your question one by one
The non surgical solution lies in physical therapy only. But it depends on the extent of tear and the rest you give to your shoulder. But often the physical therapy is able to get rid of the pain if you do not do any activity with it but is not able to heal the tear completely. So surgery is the definitive treatment of the tear.
Arthroscopic surgery is the treatment of choice since minimal incision would be required and it will scar less and will give less trauma to normal tissue. You can delay the surgery only if you stop playing golf. Otherwise the tear may get extended , the pain would aggravate and in the long run, osteoarthritis of the shoulder would develop. So in presence of your sports activity , the surgery cannot be delayed.
The recover can take from 1-3 months depending on the physical therapy. Pain would disappear in a week or two but it may take a month to start complete activity and may take few more weeks before you can undergo golf like activities.
As already said , it is not Ok to postpone the surgery witht activities that you undergo. So if you decide to delay surgery, you can use an anti inflammatory like Diclofenac to deal with pain and inflammation in the joint.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.