Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My right leg hurts. I have difficulty sleeping because it is

My right leg hurts. I have difficulty sleeping because it is hard to find a comfortable position. It is a dull pain mostly coming from the joint between my leg and pelvis but I can also get pain in the knee and lower leg. The worst by far is when I am driving a car. Almost as bad when I am a passenger. Sitting in a regular chair the pain is still there but a lot less than the car. Walking is fine but noticeable in the joint between my leg and pelvis. It seems to be getting a little worse everyday. The first time this pain appeared was 2 weeks ago while driving between Seattle and Vancouver during a business trip. 1 day prior, I had a free day and walked 12 hours around Seattle. The weekend prior to this, I was installing room number signs in which I needed to climb up and down off a stool hundreds of times. I usually stay in the office so this would be unusual exercise for me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.

Do you have any swelling in the leg?
Warmth or redness?
Is the pain primarily in the groin area?
Any back pain?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No swelling, warmth or redness in the leg. Yesterday the pain did move into the groin area, but not so far this morning. There was a little back pain yesterday, but I suspected that it was a result of having to sleep in odd positions. I do not have fever but did have a very mild cold that resulted in slight headache and a little nasal congestion. I forgot to mention that the pain seems to get worse after eating and more so it I eat something very sugary.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
If the pain is not in the groin area primarily, where is the pain with regards XXXXX XXXXX pelvis/leg joint? Is it on the outside of the hip area?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure I understand your question but if feel like the pain comes from the groin side of the joint. That is the primary dull pain that is almost all the time but always when driving and sometimes sitting I can get very uncomfortable pain in my knee, calf and lower leg
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I wanted to confirm I knew which aspect of the upper leg it seemed to be coming from. When you said it moved to the groin, I was not sure if it started in a different area first.

When the pain comes from the groin area, this can indicate a problem in the hip joint itself. This can also be due to tendonitis. Hip pain can also cause referred pain down the leg.

If you have tenderness when pushing on the groin area, this would be more indicative of a strain or tendonitis that would have been brought on by the increased activity you have done recently.

Treatment includes rest, ice, anti-inflammatories for a few days.
If this does not help, you should see your doctor for an exam and an xray of the hip.

Other possibilities include a pinched nerve in the back, a hernia in the groin, bursitis of the hip (this is a common cause of pain on the outside of the hip area, and commonly causes pain that is worse at night as well--I will include a link so that you can read more about this. It does not usually cause groin pain, though).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is an anti inflamatory?
Why does the pain get worse after eating especially if what I eat is very surary
I did have one long walking day after the pain began but otherwise my day is filled with my normal amount of walking and sitting, why has the problem gotten a little worse every day?
Is this something that just needs time and patience to heal?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
An anti-inflammatory is something like ibuprofen or naprosyn (Aleve).

To be completely honest, I do not know why it would get worse after eating something sugary unless you are eating something that you are allergic to or if you have an intolerance to. For example, people with celiac disease (an intolerance to gluten) have joint pains and diarrhea when the eat wheat or other gluten products.

As for why it is getting worse, this may simply be because it needs some time to heal. Because you cannot simply stop walking/sitting/driving, it continues to be somewhat aggravated on a daily basis.

I personally feel you should have your doctor do an exam given the fact that it continues to worsen. It is a very remote possibility, but a hernia should be ruled out. And the fact that it does get worse with eating is an unusual symptom.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I continue taking the instaflex from GNC or is that unlikely to help?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 5 years ago.
You can continue if you want but I would not buy a second bottle. If you don't notice any difference after 2 weeks of taking it, don't continue.

Dr Abby