911DOC
911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience:  Emergency Medicine Physician
19155615

why do the bones in my fingers hurt My 2 middle fingers hurt extremely bad in the morning

why do the bones in my fingers hurt? My 2 middle fingers hurt extremely bad in the mornings. But if you squeeze any of my fingers it really hurts. Example, my kids can't squeeze my fingers when they hold my hand. My knuckles and palms don't have any pain or stiffness at all. It is just in my fingers, thxs
Category: Medical
Expert:  911DOC replied 3 years ago.

911DOC :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

911DOC :

There is no way to know what this is in this type of forum, but I can tell you what I would advise and guess a few guesses.

911DOC :

Since you have pain in those fingers and pain in the joints of the hand and fingers generally.

911DOC :

it would wise to suspect rheumatoid arthritis or something like it as a cause...

911DOC :

to figure this out will require some Xrays and some simple blood tests....

911DOC :

If you have RA then you need to know it so you can treat it and stop it's progression.

Customer:

I don't have any pain in the joints of the hand just fingers

911DOC :

I assume you have not injured your hand or fingers or you would have said so....

Customer:

no I have not

911DOC :

and having pain in the fingers only does not make me think less of RA as a possibility....

911DOC :

However, there could also be a vascular cause to this... something like Raynauds phenomenon where certain fingers do not get the circulation they need and become painful...

Customer:

ok, is it fairly inexpensive testing I don't have insurance we r self employeed

911DOC :

again, the workup from a physician's perspective is the same.... some blood work, and exam, and Xrays,... how long has this been going on and do any diseases like arhtritis or lupus run in your family?

911DOC :

yes, it is fairly inexpensive testing....

911DOC :

xrays are cheap too...

911DOC :

but do not be afraid to ask 'how much' before you go in to see someone.

Customer:

no nothing in the family, my bones have been sensitive for awhile. But the 2 fingers that hurt really bad is kinda new , maybe a couple months

911DOC :

they aren't red or swollen are they?

Customer:

no

911DOC :

good, that would make this more urgent...

911DOC :

do you have a family phsyician?

Customer:

no, generally a very healthy family hardly ever go to a doctor

911DOC :

what size town do you live in?

Customer:

ummm, i think mid size about 800,000

911DOC :

Then I would recommend seeing a rheumatologist if you can get in with one... first choice.... second choice would be a well respected internal medicine physician.

Customer:

ok, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX better to find out sooner than later with rheumatoid arthritis? It is treatable?

Customer:

btw I'm not saying that is what I have just asking just in case

911DOC :

no worries... understood.... better to find out sooner... if left untreated it can deform the fingers and make it hard to use your hands.

Customer:

ok, i will find someone, I've been putting it off thx

911DOC :

no worries, you are welcome... any more questions?

911DOC :

if not, please click 'accept' so that I may be reimbursed for my time....

Customer:

sure will thx , this is the first time I've used this site, I liked it :)

911DOC :

good, come back anytime... pleasure chatting with you.

911DOC, Board Certified Dr.
Experience: Emergency Medicine Physician