Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience:  Physician

My son, age 37, has a fasting cholesterol of 1400! The doctor

My son, age 37, has a fasting cholesterol of 1400! The doctor says his Triclyserides are that high as well. He is aware it is hereditary. He has not eaten pork or pork products in over 12 years and does not eat any type of shell fish.
They put him on Loped (?) and he has changed his diet in a more healthy way. This is a critically excessive level. Is there anything that can be done for him to reduce it such as plasma pheresis or anything to help immediately?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 5 years ago.
His cholesterol is clearly very high. However even at these numbers, this is not an emergency. High cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease and other problems over several years if left untreated. Oral medications to control cholesterol are the mainstay of treatment. Very high triglyceride levels can sometimes cause acute pancreas inflammation, so in addition to regular cholesterol lowering medications such as statins, he should also ask his doctor about Lovaza, which contains omega-3 fatty esters made from fish oil, and this will be helpful in specifically lowering high triglyceride levels.