Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have large dark red patch in roof of mouth, sore throat, neck and muscle aches including

I have large dark red patch in roof of mouth, sore throat, neck and muscle aches including arms, hands and legs but mostly neck and shoulders (like I have been in some type of accident), burning in mouth when eating for several weeks now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Any medical history?
medications?
has the throat been cultured?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nothing serious with medical history....I have five children ages 1-16 and finished breastfeeding three weeks ago. I first thought the muscle aches (pretty intense in neck at times asking kiddos to massages to help) were coming from weaning though my breasts were not aching. Then I noticed the mouth burning while eating oranges and bananas thinking I was developing an allergy or maybe had a little thrush or something and it would go away. Then this morning while eating a bagal with cream cheese, my throat (or more the back, top of my mouth burned and hurt so bad so I got a mirror and flashlight and immediately my husband and son noticed the large red flat patch in my mouth....doesn't hurt when touched. Only med I am on is zoloft 50mg and have been on that for two months. No culture has been done and no sores on outside of mouth and no fever etc.
OK
first have the throat cultured see if you are carrying strep

An untreated infection could cause extended illness in some cases.

Talk to your doctor about a possible allergy or side effect to zoloft, which could develop even though you have been on the medication for a while.

Burning mouth syndrome is another possibility, and primary BMS is cause unknown, however there are a number of systemic problems that need to be ruled out
Mouth infection
Dentures or other oral problems
Thyroid disease and diabetes
B vitamin deficiencies
GERD...reflux disease
Hormonal changes
Medications
food allergies

As you can see it will be important to have labs at this point.
Some of this could be done at urgy care today
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I still have to go to the docotor which is why I paid $35 to bypass that.
Hello
Unfortunately
This site does not do lab testing or prescribe medication
It provides information
You absolutely must go to the doctor for exam [of the patch which needs a visual diagnosis and is some cases maybe even a biopsy] and for a culture [strep can have very serious consequences if left untreated] and to rule out post pregnancy diabetes, thyroid disease which can develop.........
This site can not in any way substitute for a physician visit or for treatment that you might need.
Although all of us would like to avoid going to the doctor on many occasions, such avoidance should not be the case when you might have a serious disorder.
Let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think it is strep because I have never had that and I don't have a fever. Plus it is more on the roof of my mouth and not the throat. The burning is in mouth and not in throat. The patch it more like a spot because it is about the size of the end of my thumb but it is irregular in shape. Do you think it may be some type of cancer? I know it is not an std because my husband has been faithful 18 years....( 99% sure ) and because I was tested for a panel of them after birth of last child due to some complications and all were neg. I am only 145 lb so pretty sure it wouldn't be diabetes because I feel relatively healthy no fatigue etc. Could it be cancer or herpes virus if herpes is not std related? the patch is not raised and no whiteness associated with it which would rule out thrush, right?
Hello again
It is unlikely that this is cancer since it was sudden onset and it does not fit the description.
It might not have anything to do with strep but you don't have to have a fever at all to be carrying strep, or it can present with only sore throat in some causes.
It does not fit the description of an STD.
Allergic reaction fist more
But there are other skin problems that can form here, including reaction to an inflammatory process such as autoimmune reactions, infection, and it should be noted that fungus or yeast can present with only red patches on occasion.
As far as cancer, squamous cell is the only lesion close to this description....but again would not come up suddenly.
Given that you have myalgias...core muscles, a lab called a sed rate should really also be done, to rule out infection, auto-immune disease, cancer, etc. because if that lab is normal or low you have none of these.

good luck again
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc