Dr.tiwari
Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.
8775652

Sustained trauma to index finger of left hand by blunt force

Sustained trauma to index finger of left hand by blunt force (finger smashed between two objects). Initially bruised and swollen between MCP and PIP, able to move but with pain. It has been two weeks and bruising gone, but still swollen (reduced) and hard knot formed. Pain tolerable, but uncomfortable to move and with applied pressure. What damage was caused?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 3 years ago.

Dr.tiwari :

Dr.tiwari :

It looks from your details that there may be undisplaced fracture of one of your phalageal bone.

Dr.tiwari :

This is the reaason why you are having pain with movement with swelling & with pressure.

Customer:

How do you tell the difference between a fracture and torn tendon?

Dr.tiwari :

You should consult to an orthopedician & get yourself evaluated by having a x ray of hand.

Customer:

If it is an undisplaced fracture, what is the best treatment option?

Dr.tiwari :

First your mode of injury does not support to the diagnosis of torn tendon .In torn tendon there is loss of one movement pertaining to torn tendon.

Dr.tiwari :

In undisplaced fracture the best treatment will be to use a finger splint & keep the finger in the posistion of immobilization for at least 2-3 weeks.

Dr.tiwari :

You may also do cold fomentation which will help in reliving the swelling.

Customer:

How long does it generally take for finger fractures to completely heal?

Dr.tiwari :

It may take about 3-4 weeks.

Dr.tiwari :

This should be confirmed by having a X RAY OF THE AFFECTED PART.

Customer:

How necessary is an x-ray? Could long term damage be done if a fracture and treated by splinting only?

Dr.tiwari :

A long term damage can be there if fracture is in the joint which if displaced & unite there.

Dr.tiwari :

It may hamper the future function of the affected part.

Customer:

With my injury description, what do you think the hard knot on my finger is? Bone, inflammed tendon,sheath,...?

Dr.tiwari :

Where it is situated?Exact location?

Customer:

The knot is on dorsal side of index finger midway between MCP and PIP joints.

Dr.tiwari :

This may be a healed torn tenosynovium(which lie over the dorsal tendon).

Customer:

Should the knot disappear with time and finger return to normal generally speaking if immobilized for 2-3 weeks?

Dr.tiwari :

This will need physiotherpy.

Dr.tiwari :

Gradual mobilization,wax bath therapy,etc.

Customer:

Would this be around the 4th week?

Dr.tiwari :

Yes.

Customer:

In your opinion, are you leaning more towards an undisplaced fracture or torn tenosynovium?

Customer:

When should swelling disappear?

Dr.tiwari :

Both may happen in a case,but more towards torn tenosynovium.

Dr.tiwari :

The sweelling will disappear with exercise & physio.It may take about 6-8 weeks.

Customer:

So what would you suggest my best course of action be if I do not get an x-ray? And what signs would indicatate necessary signs for medical treatment?

Customer:

I am hoping to heal with home treatment, but will seek medical advice for x-ray if highly recommended and any permanent damage is possible?

Dr.tiwari :

Have a x ray to rule out the fracture.

Continue splint or start wearing that.

Take an anti inflammatory analgesic.

Consulting to a doctor will be helpful because still it is not too late for a treatment of even a displaced fracture or torn tendon or tenosynovium.

Dr.tiwari :

Hope this will help you.

Customer:

One more question. If the x-ray shows a fracture isn't treatment going to be splinting and similar course of action? I really want to avoid the expense of medical treatment unless serious damage is possible.

Dr.tiwari :

In undispalced fracture the treatment is only splinting while in the displaced fracture the operative intervention should be done.

Customer:

I know I said one more question, but your comment has triggered a thought. My thought is if it is displaced wouldn't extreme pain be associated with it. the pain is tolerable, just uncomfortable with movement.

Dr.tiwari :

The pain is both in the displaced & undisplaced fracture.The pain occur due to presence of swelling ,& torn periosteum which is there in both cases.

Dr.tiwari :

Are you there?

Customer:

OK thank you. I just want to make sure I understand and then I am done. My main concern is the hard knot and whether it will heal on its own and disappear. If the knot is from an undisplaced fracture, is that ossification of bone and will it heal itself?

Dr.tiwari :

Yes.

Customer:

Great. Thank you for your time and advice.

Dr.tiwari :

Welcome.

Dr.tiwari :

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.

Customer:

Thank you I am satisfied.

Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience: M.D.
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.