Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

pain in right ear, extending down through right side of throat,

pain in right ear, extending down through right side of throat, not constant, periodically throughout the day.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.

I am an ENT specialist.

How long have you been having this pain?

Does pressing the ear or pulling it mildly cause pain?

Do you have diabetes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about a month and half, no pain when pulling or pressing ear. I am not diabetic

You need to consult an ENT specialist for this pain since it has been there for more than a month.

There are a number of conditions which could cause such pain in the ear.

Ear causes: a chronic infection of the middle ear, otitis media with effusion, otitis externa, etc. are some causes in the ear which can cause this pain.

Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia: this is due to affection of the 9th cranial nerve, the glossopharyngeal nerve, causing nerve pain in the area. You need to consult a neurologist for this. Link.

Throat causes: causes in the throat like chronic tonsillitis, elongated styloid process, throat tumors, etc. can also cause referred pain to the ear.

TMJ disorders: this is a disorder of the temperomadibular joint. You need investigations like a CT scan of the TM joint and also an Orthopentogram. You should discuss this with your dentist. Link.

Bruxism: Bruxism is teeth clenching or grinding. This can be a cause for your pain as the doctor has suggested. You should show a dentist to rule this out.

Referred pain: pain can also be referred to the ear from base of the skull tumors, etc.

You need to consult an ENT specialsit for this.

You should discuss all these causes with him and whether any of them are likely. You should discuss about investigations like CT scan of the mastoid and skull.

Based on the short history you have given, of periodic pains throughout the day, glossopharyngal neuralgia is a possibility, but all the other causes may also cause this. Hence you should discuss about them with your doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.