Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Yesterday I woke up with swollen feet and toes, and the condition

Yesterday I woke up with swollen feet and toes, and the condition is still with me. This is the second time in two weeks, although it was gone the following day. I have never had swollen feet before, even though I have been in retail most of my life, and very activeon my feet, in flats and in heels. Most of my life I have had low blood pressure, however, it has risen to a normal level as I age, and it has been checked as of last year. I am 65 this year, and have been completely healhly all my life, with no chronic illness, although I am generally overweight (size 1X).
Both swollen feet incidents followed a full day of active work, changing out merchandising furnishings on a floor followed by some rich foods for dinner. The latest evening incident included a small glass of Shiraz. Thank you so much!
Could you please give me an assessment for this condition.
Rosanne
Scottsdale, AZ
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Hello Rosanne,

Swelling of feet and toes on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons;

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

It is always important to discuss this with your primary care physician for the evaluation and investigations. Dependent edema because of long activity on feet may be the most likely reason in your case. This goes off in 72 hours. Following measures would be helpful;

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool. Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist your further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Arun;

I did not mention to you that I also have developed many veins in my legs over the years , probably from being on my feet so much ... My second, and last question is, could vericose or spider veins be a reason for this condition? Thank you

You are very welcome.

Yes, Varicose or spider veins are most likely reason for it. We discussed the venous valvular incompetence as the cause above, which is another name for the varicose veins.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun